Wednesday 11 March 2009

Squashes ....

Dear Mr Postman .. ah! I see a short title .. but I'm sure there's more than meets the eye .. am I right? Let's read the positive letter ...

I've played squash all my adult life and continued when I lived in South Africa .. the wet weather in the UK making it easier to ensure I had my sport .. rather than waiting for the sun to come out & have a game of tennis .. squash is known in the States .. but is often mixed up with racketball (or racquetball): & again there's the English version of racketball v the American game ... see more at this history of squash website

Squash is played on a smaller court without a roof, the ball is made of synthetic rubber and each time the ball is hit it must hit the front wall - above the "tin" (a 19" tin strip) , though it may hit the other walls (other than on serving) before hand. The game originated (confusingly!) as rackets at Harrow School, and then developed in the 19th century into a racket-and-ball game played, before turning into the game we know now ... squash rackets.

Whereas British Racketball is played on a standard Squash court, American Racquetball is played on a Racquetball court, which is slightly longer and narrower. All surfaces including the ceiling are used. There are no wall markings and no tin.

Squash, of course, refers to the many vegetables .. the Cucurbita family ... and there are so many varieties .. with descriptive names .. some obvious: "spaghetti squash"; some just fun "patty pans"; numerous names .. courgettes or zucchinis; the summer squashes, the winter ones - the pumpkins .. Hubbard, butternut - tastes delicious just thinking about it .. it's such a versatile vegetable.

And, of course!, the squash I like best .. the big, big HUG .. - which I give my mother every day I visit her .. so essential to her wellbeing and we laugh with joy - it lightens the day ..

Have a great Hugging day .. every day!! and a distant hug from us both ....

Hugging, smiling and laughing are so important to keeping our spirits up .. thank you for this latest positive letter Mr Postman .. til tomorrow ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to try squashes, I think mainly cause I like to say the word squashes. Thank you for the lesson on squashes.
Thanks,
Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Gio .. they're very good for you & so easy to cook! .. Dylan would love them too .. good veg! Give them a go ...

Thanks for coming to see the blog ..
Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

Phil Gerbyshak said...

Hugging day rocks! I love hugs! I'm spending today giving my mom a hug, and I'll see my dad too!

Happy Hugging Day!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Phil .. thanks for that comment .. glad you're spending the day with your Mum and Dad .. and having hugs together .. so essential in life.

Have a great mother's day with her ..

Yea - I get two Happy Hugging Days .. ours is in March!

Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters