Framlingham Castle is in the market town of the same name.
A Norman castle was built using the early motte and bailey design being destroyed (1173/4) by Henry II. The Earls of Norfolk rebuilt it using a curtain wall with thirteen mural square towers to defend the centre of the Castle –
|12th century walls of the Inner Court|
Despite this King John captured it in 1216, but by the end of the 1400s Framlingham had become a luxurious home, surrounded by extensive parkland used for hunting.
Originally Framlingham was one of a group of castles in the eastern counties held by the powerful Bigod family, Earls of Norfolk. Subsequently the Howard family was awarded the Dukedom of Norfolk
|Tudor brickwork in the|
Inner Court, including a carved
Due to financial constraints the castle fell into disrepair with the Castle being given to Pembroke College, Cambridge, as a philanthropic gesture in 1636.
The internal buildings were taken down to make way for the construction of a poorhouse/workhouse within the site.
Poverty was seen as a dishonourable state caused by a lack of the moral virtue of industriousness, so the workhouse provided a roof and food, in exchange for menial and/or manual labour under a reformatory or penal labour regime. The poorhouse within the Castle was used this way for 200 years until 1839.
|The Poorhouse, with the Red House|
wing (L), the 18th C middle wing, and
the remains of the Great Hall (R)
After that the Castle went through various transitions until 1913 when Pembroke College donated Framlingham to the Commissioner of Works.
|One of the five stone medieval|
heads reset into the walls of the
Today Framlingham Castle is a scheduled monument and a Grade 1 listed building, which is owned and run by English Heritage as a tourist attraction.
That is F for Framlingham Castle – an original Norman Castle much altered over time ... part of the ABC series Aspects of British Castles
Bob Scotney’s castle of yesterday was Eerie Ewloe Castle, north-east Wales
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories