Tuesday 30 August 2022

Bran Tub # 23 … wrap-ups general and recent sporting international events …

 

Bran Tub Catch-Up nearing the end of the hot summer – before the 'monthly programme/ course life' starts up again – just like school!


Hot British Summer 2022 The Downs

Lots to get done … but I'm almost on top of things – she says hopefully … the admin elements, making sure dinners work and speakers turn up … all good for the soul …

Hot 


It was, til last week, still hot here – but in the south east we've had very little rain … and life is in a hiatus (to put it politically mildly!!) … a description I have just read: We live in ominous times and this is a sort of a sanctuary from the deluge of horrors in the news.


I've been enjoying all the international sporting events that have been on … the Commonwealth Games; the European Athletics and sports held in Munich – the first major sporting event to be there since the 1972 Olympics – that I had the privilege to briefly visit …



Regatta Rowing and Canoe venue, Munich

International cricket – a family favourite as a child and my mother used to play; International Rowing – my father's sport at Oxford …



The European Aquatics Championships held in Rome … where the challenge for divers – is that the pool is outside surrounded by Roman stone pines – a quite beautiful setting …



while the cerulean blue of the sky, the watery blue of the pool, the darker shade of blue in the shadows … 


... for those 10 metre board and springboard divers it was interesting to see … how they manage – who knows: not me … obviously.



Then there's the high dive – 27 metres up (88.5 feet) … there's a very short clip in this link you'll get the feel of Rome and its setting, as too diving from that height.





Apart from social events and more tennis down here in Eastbourne … I've been to a couple of films worth noting:



'Men Who Sing' … a nostalgic, soft, yet humorous portrait of a male voice choir; the documentary film maker, Dylan Williams, who lives in Sweden, went back to Wales to check in on his 90 year old father – then told the story about his father and the choir … delightful.



Also an adaption of Delia Owens' murder mystery 'Where the Crawdads Sing” - fascinating, beautifully acted in the marshy landscape … I loved it – but oddly it was the rolling of the credits that have captured my memory bank and all the art, included as the storyline progressed …




The paintings were by Alice Ravenel Huger Smith (1876 - 1958), now part of The Johnson Collection in Spartanburg … as well as …



Taylor Swift's beautiful theme song 'Carolina' for the film …




I highly recommend the film 'When the Crawdads Sing' … One last thing … Delia Owens, the author … wrote an autobiographical book with her then husband about their time in the Kalahari Desert in Botswana in the mid 1970s. Delia Owens is also a zoologist and conservationist.



This book was a major introduction for me in the early days of my time in Southern Africa, before I had a chance to visit Botswana and Namibia as the years passed.



One of Smith's works at
The Johnson Collection
I guess that's rounded up some of the things I've been 'busy' doing or idling to enjoy – before 'the terms' of the various groups I work with start up again - and now I need to get my work-motivated hat on!


Thanks for reading …


Men Who Sing - film trailer from Dartmouth Films ... 

Official trailer of 'Where the Crawdads Sing' ...

Taylor Swift's theme song 'Carolina' for the film ... 

The art used in the film ... this links to The Johnson Collection, Spartanburg - here we see Alice Ravenel Huger Smith's ethereal art of the marshes; while the beautiful ones of the natural inhabitants (birds, seafoods, insects) where she uses richer colours - I sadly! could not find ... thus please see the film!

Hilary Melton-Butcher

Positive Letters Inspirational Stories

23 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I had a notion I had seen a film by the name Where the Crawdads Sing... but now I am wondering what it was as this one seems to be very new. Anyway, you've not been letting the grass grow under your feet! YAM xx

Elephant's Child said...

I read Where the Crawdads Sing but was underwhelmed. Her autobiography sounds much more to my liking. Thanks for that.
I am glad you have had distractions from the weather and the state of the world. Just at the moment I suspect most of us need them. Badly.

Liz A. said...

Ah yes, this summer is drawing to a close. Sounds like some good movies. And the sporting events must have been fun to watch.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Delia is quite multi-talented.
Glad you have sports to keep you occupied. Enjoy the heat - it will be one long, cold winter for many in Europe.

Debbie D. said...

Sounds like you've been keeping busy, Hilary. And I hope you've been able to cool off through all that, given the heat wave happening over there. I've heard of (but didn't read) the Crawdads book and the movie trailer looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. Cheers!

Hels said...

Sports are certainly a sanctuary from the deluge of horrors in the news. Nowadays if I see murdered bodies on the ground I have no idea if it is Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, a USA school, Myanmar protesters, anti-coup picket carriers in Sudan or drowning families in Pakistan.

I always loved participating in sport, and now in later middle age I love watching others - especially team sports like cricket, soccer and Australian football. The Olympic and Commonwealth Games are even more exciting because as well as the team effort, there is the nationalist excitement as well.

My beloved gets up VERY early in the morning, to watch international golfing competitions *sigh*

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Yam – thank you … yes it is recent: released this year. My brain is the thing that keeps that grass growing … the rest of me tries to keep up!

@ EC – oh – people seem to be over the moon with the book and the film was delightful … I have the book here, which I should now read, I guess! The Kalahari book is a zoologist's account – I might find it an easier read now – perhaps you can find it in the library.

So much going on – which I must get on with … but my mind can get away thankfully … and yes we do need to get away from the lies and deceit we hear about. Badly needed – the right comment … thank you …

@ Liz – it was so hot I could hardly venture out – just glad I'm by the seaside! The movies were both fascinating …

@ Alex – Delia yes is an interesting journalist and author and as you say multi-talented. I'm glad it's cooled off – we might get rain at the weekend! I'm afraid you're right about the long cold winter ahead … not an easy time for so many.

@ Debbie – my brain is constantly busy … the rest of me I worry about!! Glad you'll get to see the Crawdads movie – well worth it …

@ Hels – yes … our world is just so desperate for so many … and you're right which country – it could be so many.

Oh great – you have similar interests to me … and as you mention that nationalist excitement exists too – I enjoy the Commonwealth Games as so many countries are recognised and can compete under their own flags.

Oh crumbs – yes I can tolerate golf on the tv while I get on with other things – but wouldn't get up for it … but it's obviously something he enjoys.

Cheers to you all – and thank you for coming over … Hilary

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My comment is going to be a bit of a disappointment for you this time around, Hilary. I have not read the book "Where the Crawdads Sing" so I can't offer an opinion on that, but Sue, of impeccable literary taste, above, says that she was "underwhelmed" so that's not a good augury! I don't watch sports and I don't go to movies! All that's left is to wish you all the best for the remainder of the week and the weekend coming up. Hugs - David. Oh, I just thought of something. I have been advised by two different people recently about a "trend" in Britain where people are cutting down trees and hedges and replacing them with plastic substitutes that don't shed leaves and make a mess. This truly staggers me. Maybe you can blog about it, since I know you will give us all the facts.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi David - thanks for this ... but no - forgive me for not writing a blog post about the subject, despite your thought that I might know all the facts!! Cheeky!

Certainly there have been people who've been putting down plastic grass - the rest I don't know ... though I'm sure some celebrity types, or some super rich ... might have decorated their gardens a la 'on the stage' ...

Back in the 60s - Crystal Palace National Sports Centre put down plastic grass on their hockey field/s ... which I hated - the game became so fast ... way too much for me. The reason for noting this ... is that plastic grass has been around for a while.

The gardeners amongst us ... are against anything false ... not much help for our beloved critters ...

I now just hope we'll get some good rain over the weekend - it's due ... let's hope ..... then next week I can complain it's cold and wet!!


Thanks for your prompt for a post on this blog ... could be short story though! Perhaps ... cheers - good to hear from you ... Hilary

Pradeep Nair said...

I love sports too. It's energizing, relaxing, and motivating.

Sandra Cox said...

I recently saw Where The Crawdad Sings. It's not my usual fare. A friend wanted to see it so we went. Parts of it were really difficult for me. It does grab hold and doesn't let go. Very emotionally gripping. The story took place in North Carolina but was filmed in Louisiana.
Cheers,

Inger said...

Thanks for writing, my friend. I know of no more worthwhile blog to read than yours. I will check to see if I can find that book, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Inger said...

I meant the books from the Kalahari, which I just now found on my Kindle Fire. I ordered a free sample of it and will buy it if I like it, which I most likely will. I always get samples first. I never read the Crawdads book. I think I had a sample of that one too and didn't get involved in it enough. I may try it again. Thanks for providing so much good information on your blog, always.

Yolanda Renée said...

My goodness, you are full of surprises. All wonderful, and as always information filled. I learn so much when I venture to your posts! Thank you!
I'm looking forward to the peace of Fall. Loved Sue's picture prompt! Inspired a drabble. Happy early Halloween!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Pradeep - good to see you ... it was too hot to do much else, so I was happy to have various sports to come back to ...

@ Sandra - Where the Crawdad Sings is not really my usual fare - but I know Delia Owens writes professionally and well ... and she's getting lots of accolades for her work.

Yes I was aware it was filmed in Louisiana, though set in the Carolinas ... I've never been to either - I'd love to get to both at some stage ...

@ Inger - thanks for both your comments - I'm so delighted you enjoy my posts ... that's amazing you have the Kalahari book on your KindleFire. Enjoy both of the books if you decide to read them ...

I'm always grateful when people enjoy the blog and the info I give ...

@ Renee - well I've lived a long life?! The blog doesn't go away - always here and welcoming for various visits as and when!

Yes Sue, of Elephant Child's blog, has some delightful ideas in them ... I must pop over for your drabble ...

I can't quite get into the Halloween era yet ... still light for now!

Thanks for visiting and your comments - take care and cheers Hilary

Anabel Marsh said...

I haven’t heard anybody say a bad word about Where the Crawdads Sing. I wondered if having read the book would spoil it (because I know the ending) but I’m told not.

Joanne said...

Greetings. I love your listing of sporting events. I am currently very involved with US Open tennis. Ray and I were there in person right before 9/11. The tennis energy was phenomenal. Sad that your Emma Radecanu got ousted. Such a lovely young lady on her way up in the tennis world - she won last year.
As for Crawdads movie - I loved the book and felt the movie was very worthy as an adaptation. Indeed Taylor's song, etc added to the vibe.
This time of year is still very summerish yet we yearn for the fall vibe. Still too hot to declare autumn. We await the start of fall seasonal stuff - it begins 9.12 here - classes, etc.
Cheers my friend. I eagerly await your Fall posts.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Anabel - yes ... Crawdads seems to have gripped everyone ... beautiful setting - while I just loved the art work - perhaps you and John can get to see it sometime ...

@ Joanne- yes greetings to you too - I'm also now into the tennis ... not watching, but checking on the scores etc - and a connection with Cameron Norrie draws me in. Emma - I'm sure will come back ... the expectation is off now ... but that run was something else! Incredible to see - I couldn't believe it ... when I got up she'd won another round ... amaaaaazing!

I think I must have seen your review about the Crawdads - so knew I'd better see it when it was shown at our local art-house cinema.

While we're about to get cooler weather - at least now it's pleasant and we're getting some rain (a little over here in Eastbourne) ... Fall or Autumnal posts will follow anon (shortly actually!).

Cheers to you both - thank you ... Hilary

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It sounds like you've had a great time enjoying things you love! I need to take a page from your book, slow down, and find some fun diversions. :)

Nilanjana Bose said...

Sounds like a good busy time Hilary, you've been enjoying yourself doing a variety of things. Except the deluge of horrors in the news of course, which is somehow local but also global.

Not much change in the temperatures down here, but it is cusp season and there are other changes to mark. And celebrate. Happy September to you.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Elizabeth - well it's been so hot ... it's been a relief - but I slightly wish I'd been a bit more active ... now to catch up. But yes - it's so necessary to have the balance in life ... good luck, as you adjust somewhat - but I can't see you slowing down much!

@ Nila - it's been a slothful time as it's been (for me!) so hot ... but now I'm feeling more positive as it's cooler ...

The news is another story ... I now hope our 3rd female prime minister will provide us with a successful future ...

I can believe your temperatures don't change much - presumably at times more rain ... and yes you have seasons ... and your own cusp season is now with you ...

Thanks to you both - and I do hope September is easier for us over here ... cheers Hilary

Rhodesia said...

Cricket is one thing that we really miss here. Never missed a game when in South Africa, but although we can get English TV to a degree, we do not get much sport. Cricket is on all the expensive channels and of course, the French do not even play cricket!
Have a good week Diane

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Diane - thanks so much for commenting ... sorry for this late acknowledgement. Yes I enjoy cricket and that at least was shown or played in South Africa ... and if one can afford various subscriptions or apps we can basically get to see and hear everything ... just need the time, and the cash! Happy memories thinking back ... cheers Hilary