Monday 22 May 2023

Yakety-Yak part 2 …

 

Lunana, a Yak in the Classroom film … is a quite delightful story telling about a Yak in Bhutan, a recalcitrant youth, and a school high up in the Himalayas in need of a teacher …


Lunana is between the 'M & A' of the 
Himalayas name

said youth had to finish off his teaching diploma before he could leave Bhutan, with his guitar, to pursue his dream of achieving a musical career in Australia – for which he already had a provisional visa.




Ultimately he has to qualify as a teacher … so off he goes up into the Himalayas … grumping and groaning as only a rebellious youngster can …



Pokhara Valley in Bhutan

The headman sends two herdsman to meet him – when the 'road runs out'; he has his walkman headphones permanently clamped to his ears … ultimately the batteries run out …


the two villagers reassure him the walk is easy – it's along a river – yes, but that stream is pouring down the mountains – so the walk is an uphill wet trog. He'd purposefully bought Goretex boots before leaving – well they're no good – soggy wet feet step onwards!


Poster for film


We journey with him … it is beautiful, hardwork, we see cultural aspects, are introduced to a few peoples along the way.



Eventually he arrives – it is basic to put it mildly – he has his own hut … he's fed that first night … and given some basic instructions about how things work – he needs to light his own fire, cook his own food etc etc … eventually sleep comes …


Early the next morning there's a knock on the door – by the littliest schoolgirl – we're ready for you 'teacher' she beams announcing with delight …


See link at end

oh dear – nothing's organised … eventually things sort themselves out – he's beguiled by the children, copes with wet yak pats – told he needs dry ones to light his fire … etc etc



His guitar comes out – he recognises there are excellent songsters in the hamlet … he sends for teaching tools from Thimphu, capital of Bhutan …



A Yak - they're sleek animals

He's given a Yak to look after – who has pride of place in the classoom – domesticated yaks are highly regarded for their milk, fibre and meat, and as beasts of burden – then there's their droppings – fuel for their fires … but the yak will not eat grain … they must have grass …



in the end they have a happy year – but he's determined to leave … and does … he's qualified and can travel to Australia … his dream has come true … but has it …


Here he's playing his guitar to his yak!

he's playing in a bar in Sydney and realises no-one is listening to him … they're all nattering away … he's upset … then appreciates there's a calling at home – high up in Lunana …



Some brief stats and info … Lunana's administrative area has a population of under 900; rainfall is over six feet a year; many of Bhutan's glaciers are within the district, which lies at an altitude of 3,400m (over 11,000 feet); yaks are related to cattle and are also known as the Tartary ox, grunting ox, or hairy cattle …



The movie inspired me – and still does – I hope you'll be able to make a plan to watch it sometime … 'a teacher touches the future' and 'you find what you seek in a place you least expect'

The trailer to watch ... Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom 

Wikipedia's page on the film ...

Hilary Melton-Butcher

Positive Letters Inspirational Stories

33 comments:

bazza said...

Can you imagine taking that synopsis to a Hollywood producer and asking for big sums of money to make the film? I don't think it would happen!
CLICK HERE for Bazza’s nervously nefarious Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Right now I'm wishing I wasn't retired and was still helping to run the film club in the school where I once worked - I think they'd enjoy a film like that.

jabblog said...

That sounds like a wonderful film, Hilary. How often we find what we're seeking when we stop looking in the wrong place and think back.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Very inspiring! I come from a long line of teachers and I love that they made an impact on the next generations. :)

Joanne said...

How fun. I must find this movie. I like classroom and inspiration tales. Good find!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I see it is available online to rent in various places - got it bookmarked! You do find some interesting films, Hilary!!! YAM xx

John Holton said...

Sounds like a great movie!

Kathy G said...

I love a good inspirational movie. Thanks!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Bazza - I know when you think about it ... it's incredible to think about - but wonderful it's been made! It's a great film ...

@ John - oh I can understand that feeling ... we're so lucky down here to have such an excellent film society, which now combines with the Towner, the chairman has incredible knowledge about films - he sits on the British Film Institute board ...

@ Janice - it is a wonderful film ... I'm sure your family would love it. Those two quotes at the end of the post - resonated with me ... I felt they were worth adding in ...

@ Elizabeth - the turn on the film ... of the teacher realising that he'd miss his teaching and the help he'd provide his fellow citizens. It's great to read your comment ...

@ Joanne - oh it's definitely worth watching ... yes classroom and inspirational tales ... fun - too true ...

@ Yam - thanks ... you'll so enjoy it - and it's great to know you can rent it online here in the UK - thanks for letting me know.

@ John - it was quite delightful ...

@ Kathy - oh good ... I hope you'll enjoy it ...

Cheers everyone - we're so lucky to have someone who is so knowledgeable about film and brings wonderful films for us to see ... I wish I was that aware of the movie industry - I just select which films I want to visit. So pleased you're here - thank you - Hilary

Liz A. said...

It sounds like a lovely film.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a lot of rain.
Funny how we can think our goal is one thing but life has a way of showing us a different path.

Terra said...

Thanks for reminding me about this film, now I want to see it.

Elephant's Child said...

I really don't 'do' movies. Your synopsis on this one has tempted me though. Big time.
I hope you are feeling better. Hugs.

Rhodesia said...

It sounds delightful but our chance of seeing it here in France is slim. I will though keep an eye out one never knows. Cheers Diane

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Liz - it is a delightful gentle film ...

@ Alex - yes ... lots and lots of rain high in the Himalayas. Our goals certainly change as we grow ... I know mine have and still are, or adjusting!

@ Terra - oh great ... it's a lovely film - you'll be inspired by it ...

@ EC - I know you not that keen on movies ... but I enjoy seeing the avant garde ones, not so keen on the popular ones: We're offered a brilliant selection ...
Thanks for your interest ... I'm feeling easier and that's the main thing, moving on to being better ...

@ Diane - I know you have difficulty with your internet connection in France - but if you ever have a chance, I'm glad you'll keep an eye open for it.

Wonderful to see you all - and so pleased it sounds you're all keen on seeing the film when the opportunity arises. Thanks so much ... cheers Hilary

David M. Gascoigne, said...

As always, Hilary, you find the obscure and the unusual for us. The mere thought of this takes me back to the journey we made to Bhutan in 2007, a very memorable experience as you might well imagine. Yaks were seen daily at high elevations, but they were always domesticated. I don't think we ever saw a wild one. I will keep my eye open for this film. All best wishes - David

Hels said...

Spot on! ..a teacher touches the future, even if we have never been to the Himalayas.

This week I was citing some material that I learned very well in 1963.. remembering even the specific teacher who taught that material to the class. Back in 1963 Mr Davis said "long after I am dead, you students will value the role this teacher played in your lives". He was right.

Anonymous said...

Cheers!

Sandra Cox said...

This sounds delightful.

Sandra Cox said...

Hope you're having a good one, Hils. Thanks for sharing information on this film.

Keith's Ramblings said...

You've certainly whetted my appetite! It sounds like a wonderful film.

Vallypee said...

That really does sound like a lovely film, Hilary. I hope you are feeling better now!

Botanist said...

The "walk is easy" part made me laugh. I wonder what an "easy" walk means to people who live in remote mountains.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ David - it was such a fun film ... also educative. You've had some amazing travels over the year ... I could never have made that trip ... but a memorable experience, as I can well imagine. I'd love to see the Yaks grazing happily on the grasslands - I was just bemused to see one ensconced in a classroom - as a good-luck charm (large charm!). Hope you find the film sometime ...

@ Hels - yes a teacher does touch the future ... even as he finds his own way ahead as a teacher - wherever it is found.

I didn't have your experience of a teacher who inspired me ... one did - hence I love geography and sport. But a mentor would have been helpful ... still I was lucky I had an education ...

@ Lon - thank you ...

@ Sandra - thanks for your ongoing support ...

@ Keith - it's a great film ... if you get a chance - I imagine it's somewhere you've visited - well the Himalayas, anyway ....

@ Val - it was so much fun - one I can't get out of my head ... I'm adjusting - not very well so far ... this week must knuckle under ...

@ Ian - how great to see you again ... I've spotted your new post; yes ... the 'easy walk' - he must have done a fair amount of mountain walking as he lived in Bhutan - but he was not a happy chappy walking up the rugged, steep rushing river valley ...

Lovely to see you all - thanks for coming over to visit ... I'll be round and about visiting ... cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Cox said...

Can you imagine living among glaciers?

Nilanjana Bose said...

Himalayas are beyond magnificent, enthralling. I don't think the world has anything better on offer :) Hope you are feeling more yourself.

mail4rosey said...

It's nice to find a place where you belong. I would love to see this movie.

Sandra Cox said...

Have a good week, Hils;)

Sandra Cox said...

That black yak is very handsome. Hope you are feeling okay.
Cheers,

cleemckenzie said...

Some friends returned from Bhutan this week. I'll have to share this story with them. I'm sure they'll find it an perfect read to wrap up their trip.

Sherry Ellis said...

Sounds like an inspiring film!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Sandra – thanks for your comments … always lovely to see you. The yak is very handsome isn't 'he'! I'm just sluggish …

@ Nila – I know – the Himalayas are extraordinary to see … just glad it's on film – don't think I'd cope with the hiking and potential altitude sickness …

@ Rosey – I enjoy the films and our locality – very fortunate … but we're coastal (Cornish – albeit now in Sussex) folk … the movie is so worth while: I hope you can get to see it.

@ Lee – talk about co-incidences … I do hope your friends appreciated the post, and will get to see the film. I gather Bhutan is beautiful … this is my second post on the area …

@ Sherry – it is an inspiring film … I lpved it!

Thanks so much for your comments – I'm going to get back in the groove … see you all soon – cheers Hilary