Monday 24 July 2023

Family Wedding guzzles, snippets … 2/2

 

The bride was ebullient, ecstatic, excited, exuberant, exhilarated and totally thrilled that 'the day to become Mr and Mrs' had finally arrived – sadly no photos … but it was an eye-opening day …


Buckets of flowers - simple, but
delightfully colourful

Fun speeches – with lots of amusing quips coming out … the groom being very determined to look after his near and dear … especially his new Missus – she wasn't going to be left out!




Their first dance showed the Missus' delight – they set off sedately … then I've never seen the new Missus move quite so quickly … as she whizzed back to her hubby's arms – with a few hugs grabbed for good measure!


MIL made the cake

I have to catch up on who did what – I only went over for the day – but everything was meticulously planned – except for that dreaded (cold) wind … and by the time I went home before 'carriages at midnight' were called ... I was very glad!



We had a local catering company 'The Green Fig' – who set up a catering tent, attached to the marquee …

Marquee set up ... 


My guzzle choices highlighted below ... and were listed on our individual Menu ... with a little bio for each of us ... 


Starters

  • Trio of salmon (gluten free) - smoked salmon, flaked hot smoked salmon, salmon and chive mousse with homemade focaccia

  • Seared carpaccio of beef fillet (gluten free, dairy free) - served with wasabi dressing

  • Homemade vegetable pakoras (vegan, vegetarian, dairy free) - served with homemade spiced pineapple chutney


Main Courses

  • Slow-roasted shoulder of lamb (gluten free, dairy free on request) - served on Boulangere potatoes with Mediterranean vegetables in a light tomato and rosemary jus

  • Oven-baked cod with parmesan and chorizo crust - served with lemon butter sauce, served on crushed new potatoes with summer greens

  • Charred hispi cabbage (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, dairy free; contains nuts) - served with a herby polenta cake and hazelnut Romesco sauce


Desserts

  • Summer berry pavlova (vegetarian, gluten free)

  • Salted caramel pecan pie (vegetarian; contains nuts)

  • Vegan baklava custard tart (vegetarian, vegan, dairy free)


 … all very good.


I'd been tempted by the Herby Polenta cake as my main, and the Salted Caramel Pecan pie … but settled for my first choices.


Heater strapped down - they'd blown
over during the night - weather was
clear though ... 

The 12 tables, with a top table, were all labelled with the names of the places they'd been to on holiday – I was on Athens … the others: Bologna, Cotswolds, Dubrovnik, Limassol, Naxos (Greek Island), New Forest, Penzance, Port Isaac, Rome, Valletta, Venice …




I have friends whose daughter is getting married this weekend – it looks as though that one will be damp … and chilly – I'm now glad ours was on St Swithin's Day.  It was a very wet overnighter?!


Hollyhocks

I caught up with a few friends … while at the Church, I'd arrived early, a Nigerian pal came early too – and we nattered … he was somewhat bemused when I mentioned the trilogy 'Binti' by the American Nigerian author – Nnedi Okorafor – a Sci-Fi tale based around the Himba tribe in Namibia: not a subject he'd expected to come across!



I'm now looking forward to catching up with all the ins and outs ... and latest news anon.  My brother and SIL have understandably disappeared for a break!  

Plum tree - full of fruits - it's an old
orchard area


Information from One Stop English - where I gather wicked derives from the Old English Word wicca - the female equivalent was wicce - giving us the word witch. 



The Menu card


Hilary (orig. Latin, 'Hilarius': 'cheerful', 'happy')

A generous and loving honorary godmother. Endlessly caring and always there.



A 1613 pamphlet "showing
Witches Apprehended, Examined,
Executed, for notable villanies ..."
I'm glad to live in the 21st C!


Normal service will be resumed here shortly ... 
no peace for this wicce over the summer - I just need to catch my tail if wicce have tails? ...



The Green Fig Catering Company found outside Eastbourne ... 

PS - I forgot b-o-o-z-e ... plenty on hand - I enjoyed my Prosecco and water ... (not mixed!)

Hilary Melton-Butcher

Positive Letters Inspirational Stories


29 comments:

hels said...

Weddings are wonderful occasions that I still love going to. But whereas parents paupered themselves 50 years ago for their daughters, I assumed people had more modest functions today. Fewer guests, fewer courses, more modest facilities, one bridesmaid not 8 etc.

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds lovely - and the bucket of flowers is charming.
I don't think I would ever describe you as a witch or even a wicce though.

jabblog said...

What a nice and thoughtful idea to have a personalised menu card. It sounds as though you had a delightful, if windy, day.

Kay G. said...

Oh, the wedding must have wonderful, the food certainly sounds that way!
Eastbourne! You have made me "homesick" now! (My in-laws lived there for many years, I miss them so much.)

Janie Junebug said...

What a lovely menu for a wedding. Such a feast! The card with your name is delightful. I'm surprised a dessert was served when there was a cake.

Love,
Janie

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like a wonderful event! I like the fact that tables were named after locations the couple had visited. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Hels - yes ... always fun to go to and catch up with friends and family. This was family oriented in what suited all sides ... I'm sure more friends could have been invited - but the happy couple had set their sights - actually in this instance 7 bridesmaids! - they all wore blue of their own style, colour and design. I'd say it was a value wedding! - satisfying everyone ...

@ EC - yes ... I loved the bucket of flowers - there were more around - simple, but colourful and lots of natural ones on the tables. On occasions I'm sure I've been there - but a touch of witchly magic can be useful at times ... stirring the pot!! Delighted you felt I'm out of that ambit ...

@ Kay - I remember you love Eastbourne - it's a great town to live in - lots happening in and around the beautiful Sussex Downs. The food choices were rather delicious ...

@ Janie - it was very well organised and efficiently served - the dessert was an essential - and actually I left before the cake was offered up - I'll find out when that happened when I catch up with the family. The cake probably became a midnight snack ... who knows!

@ Elizabeth - yes I was pleased to see the table names ... and there were photos of them in each appropriate visited place - ours were of them in aprons - learning to cook Greek food!

Cheers and thanks for being here supporting the blog and me! Hilary

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This was a pretty fancy affair, Hilary, with food designed to cater for every taste and dietary persuasion. I have never been to a wedding (or any other event for that matter) where I was provided with a personalized menu card. This couple spared no expense! Glad you had such a great time. May the union be long and harmonious.

Computer Tutor said...

I loved the memories brought back with this post, but truly, it took me a while to move on from the first sentence--"the day to become Mr and Mrs' had finally arrived". Me, too! And still love being here.

Kathy G said...

It sounds like a lovely event.

Sandra Cox said...

Wow. Sounds like a lovely time. Wonderful selection of food. Love the menu card.
Cheers,

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looks like it was quite the feast!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ David - yes, perhaps ... it suited all parties as far as I could tell - being I don't know the groom's family - he was delighted with all things and our family think the world of him ... as his bride does! It looks to have a happy future ... a good union ...

I've never heard of a personalised menu card either (but obviously a thing!) - but The Green Fig set up was extremely professional in its service ... well worth the expense, probably a share ...

@ Jacqui - oh that's great ... taking you back to your own marriage - I'm so pleased - excellent to read ... and I love your comment - thanks!!

@ Kathy - great to see you visiting ... it was all lovely ...

@ Sandra - it was all relaxed, good fun ... and very well organised - that menu card is great isn't it ...

@ Alex - I wish I could have tried all the dishes ... I'd have liked to - perhaps another day!!

Thanks so much for your visits - so pleased you've enjoyed sharing this with me - cheers Hilary

Anabel Marsh said...

Sounds like a wonderful wedding with some great ideas I’ve not come across before, such as the personalised menus and naming the tables after holiday destinations.

Liz A. said...

Sounds like it was a lovely wedding.

Joanne said...

I'll just say cheers. No judgement on amount of Prosecco imbibed. Weddings are special and I love the vows and ceremony. I head Fri to Pensacola FL for elder sons wedding on the beach Monday. I shall post pics later. Cheers to you and all involved. Gotta love ceremony.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Anabel - yes it was a marvellous affair ... the weather could have been kinder, but at least we had a marquee and it was dry. They are a very caring couple ... so the personalised menu, and the table labelling was all innovative as far as I was concerned.

@ Liz - all was very happy ...

@ Joanne - yes ... 'cheers' does well!! I had a fair amount over the late pm/evening - but enjoyed as I don't imbibe it often. Weddings are special and this was different, yet relatively normal and suited them. Enjoy your Florida visit - a beach wedding must be a fun setting - I've never experienced one.

Thanks for visiting and for your thoughts on our happy memories - cheers Hilary

Birgit said...

It’s so7nds and looks like beautiful wedding. The food sounds excellent and music is always great at a wedding. I love the pictures. No control over the weather but it didn’t seem to matter in the end.

DMS said...

The menu sounds delicious. So many tasty offerings- it seems every choice would be a good one. Sounds like a lot of fun and it is always nice to catch up with old friends and relatives at celebrations. Glad you had such a nice time. I hope the weather for the next wedding is better than expected. :)
~Jess

Sandra Cox said...

The buckets of flowers and the hollyhocks are gorgeous.

Debbie D. said...

Sounds like a lovely wedding! The menu was especially interesting. And prosecco! Perfect. ☺

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Birgit - it was a very happy time ... there was a harpist early on too ... and a band to see them late into the night - well carriage time! The bride had her heart over her whole body - she was positively thrilled the day had come!! I expect the aura hasn't disappeared!

@ Jess - thanks for being here - yes I'd have rather have liked a few more dinners - the food does sound delicious. The next wedding, at which I wasn't a guest, had a successful one - despite the soggy wet conditions. Now we have unsettled weather - fairly typical British summer conditions!

@ Sandra - yes the garden looked wonderful ... the position and soil isn't brilliant - it's on chalk ... but the family had worked hard and long on it for the happy day ...

@ Debbie - ah yes Prosecco ... perfect accompaniment for a garden wedding celebratory evening - it was grand ...

Thanks to you four ... lovely seeing you - and I'll be round shortly - cheers Hilary

Sandra Cox said...

That cake looks amazing.
Cheers,

Romance Reader said...

Lovely menu. And everything looks so amazing.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Sandra - thanks ... I hope to hear what it was like ... as I didn't stay around for it!!

@ Nas - thanks for visiting - I'll be over soon ...

Cheers to both of you - Hilary

Damyanti Biswas said...

Sounds like such fun! And the food looks fantastic 😍😍

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Oh Damyanti - it was an amazingly happy day - they were thrilled ... I'm seeing my brother tomorrow to do a bit of catching up ... but I'll learn more every-time I meet family members and catch the couple at some stage in yhe future ... thanks for popping by - cheers Hilary

Joanne said...

How fun! Having just returned from a wedding event in FL, I can say that it was delightful. So nice to have some traditions and also new twists on old ways. But the key is LOVE. Glad you enjoyed this blessed time.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Joanne - great to see you here - yes ... I bet your beach wedding was as much fun, but a very different situation. They are most definitely in love ... it was great fun, as yours sounds - cheers Hilary