Thursday 20 September 2012

Where the wind blows – music will be made ...


Jurassic music along the coast of Dorset ... the wind chimes across the cliffs from 180 million years ago ... another 2012 Cultural Olympiad Festival installation ...

Instruments across Dorset's rolling hills

More than 500 instruments were set up by the French composer Pierre Sauvageot, to be played by the wind ... the one mile stretch of Harmonic Fields overlooked the Olympic sailing course of Weymouth Bay and Portland Harbour.

A musical walk through a pergola

The instruments were suspended on posts along the coastal path in Dorset, in six different locations ... as Mr Sauvageot said “The Dorset Coast is a wonderful place to bring Harmonic Fields – its rolling hills and wide seascape the perfect place for the audience to immerse themselves in their sounds ....”

Portland Harbour - the Olympic's sailing
venue - the Clubhouse is on the far left

 The audience could sit and listen, walk slowly along the cliff path, or occasionally stop and put a hat on – a musical instrument to hear the sound - as wind flows create these incredible free sounds of nature.


The 500 instruments were set out in the form of six music movements at the different locations:
  • on the landscape
  • at the seaside
  • along the cliff top
  • down into the valley
  • on the dunes
  • finishing in the disused Bowers quarry 

·      


Cliff top seascape
The event was only staged for six days ... and I’ve only just read about it, while researching something else to post ... but this one steals the show.


Quite extraordinary I thought – and now what else have I missed from the Cultural Olympiad this summer?!  But I know many of you will be interested to read about them ... and I’ve linked the BBC sites below, also other YouTube links for overseas readers ...

Enjoy ....

BBC News – Dorset: Harmonic Fields article

BBC News – Dorset:  video here is 1.43 minslong  (possibly only UK viewers)

You Tube: A walk through wind power from the Jurassic Coast – video 25 mins ... here you get the accompanying seagulls!



Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories

25 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

What a wonderful event to attend! Charming and original.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That video is excellent - what an eerie experience. I had not heard of it at all Hilary. Thanks for telling us about it. beats the wind howling down the chimney! :-)

Southpaw said...

I would have liked to have seen that! - 'Er heard that too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

How original! Too bad you couldn't be there to hear it.

MorningAJ said...

Oh oh oh! What a great idea! Wish I could have seen it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Karen .. I wish I'd known - but it's 3 hours away .. though I'm glad I've found out about and am able to post and include snippets via YouTube et al ..

@ Deboarah - well honestly nor had I heard about it .. I was looking for something else and thought 'can't leave this off the blog' ... it's an extraordinary musical expose - just brilliant so - pleased you enjoyed it and definitely better than the wind howling down the chimney ... that's a comin' ...

@ Holly - well me too ..

@ Alex - totally original ... and I'd have loved to have the chance to visit ..

@ Morning AJ - like me, like you .. at least I found it I suppose - so should it occur again on these shores we can make sure we get to it ..

Thanks everyone - thought you'd enjoy it .. cheers Hilary

Old Kitty said...

Oh I have a small musical exhibition as part of the cultural olympiad just outside where I work!! This artist rigged up the wall of a park and as people walk by, they set off music - and sounds - so depending how fast or slow you walk by your movement will set off music!! It's fun!!

Take care
x

Anonymous said...

What an amazing sight. I would love to hear and see such a thing.

Anonymous said...

You are right (and thank you for alerting me of this post, for I am way, way behind), that England has been a particular treasure-trove this year. This is truly an amazing example!

Karen Lange said...

Wow, this must have been something to hear and see. Sounds amazing! Perhaps if it returns sometime you will get to see it.

Have a lovely weekend,
Karen

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Old Kitty - how wonderful ... and fascinating as you can spend time listening .. and hearing others make the sounds as they move around. What a great idea .. clever chap ... I expect you've seen the one at Kings Cross?

@ Medeia - I would love to have got there ..

@ Susan - you're right there .. that Britain has been a treasure-trove this year of ideas, creativity etc

@ Karen - if it returns I'd love to get to see it ..

Thanks everyone - you too have lovely Fridays and weekends .. cheers Hilary

Empty Nest Insider said...

What an amazing event! I'm sure the audience had a whirlwind of a time! Julie

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wanna be there so much! What a great event this is. I'm sure the people lucky enough to attend this had a fantastic time.

TheBestofChimes.com

Sue said...

That sounds positively delightful. What a shame it wasn't open for longer, it sounds like it was great fun.
cheers
Sue

Laurita said...

Extraordinary indeed.

Golden Eagle said...

That must have been wonderful to visit.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Julie .. on days I'm sure it was a whirlwind of a time - lots of wind along that coastline of the English Channel!

@ Edith - looks like it was a very interesting cultural event.

@ Sue - I'd have loved to visited .. and certainly if it came back somewhere it'd be fun to go and listen ..

@ Laurita - as you say: extraordinary ..

@ Golden Eagle - wish I had, but am pleased I've seen it and can at least post about it.

Cheers everyone .. Hilary

Juliet said...

This is so inspiring! I can imagine walking along those cliff tops, picking up ethereal sounds and humming to myself, 'the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind . . . '

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - Dylan's song is so appropriate here .. and yes this is so 'your venue' - it would be such a pleasure to join you in that walk ..

Cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

What an interesting musical event. That certainly took some thought in planning it all out and executing it. Thanks for sharing about it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne .. it just amused me -something most of us wouldn't think of doing! Glad you enjoyed it ..

Cheers Hilary

Siobhan said...

Thanks for sharing. New follower here.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Siobhan .. glad you enjoyed the post and nice to meet you - cheers Hilary

cleemckenzie said...

How wonderful! This had to have been a fantastic six days. Thanks so much for all the pictures and descriptions, Hilary.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lee - I'd have loved to have visited .. but it just sounded so much fun - glad you enjoyed the post .. cheers Hilary