Friday 25 April 2014

V is for Visitors to our shores ... many Views are on show in my earlier ABC posts ...


... the first visitors I’ll broach will be ‘us’ – yes ‘us humans’ ... our settlements and invasions that brought conflict, wealth, and faith ...

 
Blackpool's golden sands
... while helping to shape the flourishing arts, languages and destinies of the peoples of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland ... could not have happened without visitors ...




Razor Bill


Nothing has changed much in the intervening one million years ... we continue to shape the world as we know it ... and we battle or are defeated by nature: such is life.






Those early humans walked across the land that would become the North Sea, and over the English Channel ... before invading visitors by sea became the norm ...

 
Basking Shark
However the inhabitants did not take visits to the coasts until about 300 years ago when the Georgian era of British history commenced ... 


... and it became fashionable to travel to the seaside in summer to bathe in sea water to improve their well-being ...




... and thus began the tourist industry ... for the wealthy for about 150 years, then with the advent of the railways (1840s) ... industrial workers could take an easy and cheap holiday to shores unknown ...



Blackpool Promenade with its Tower
1898
Blackpool is a classic tourist centre ... with a population of about 500 in 1801 to 2,500 in 1851 ...


... which by 1881 was a booming resort with a population of 14,000 ... a promenade - complete with piers, fortune-tellers, public houses, trams, donkey rides, fish-and-chip shops and theatres.



Blackpool Sands with Punch and Judy
entertainment in the 1930s-40s
by Helen Bradley (1900 - 1979)
By 1901 the population was 47,000, by which time its place was cemented as “the archetypal British seaside resort” with a population of over 142,000 today ...


Visitors can now enjoy Blackpool with its Tower, Illuminations, Pleasure Beach, the Zoo, Sandcastle Water Park, the Winter Gardens (entertainment complex) and the UK’s only surviving first-generation tramway.


 
An un-modified double-decker
'Balloon' tram on the promenade
at Bispham, a few miles north
of Blackpool
Blackpool has a 7 mile sandy beach ... which was served by a newly built private road in the late 1780s ... so was ideal for stage coaches on early  sightseeing trips.


Blackpool in those early days attracted holiday makers from Scotland and from the factories around Manchester, Liverpool, Preston and Bolton and the surrounds in Lancashire.


That is V for visitors to our shores ... now including those from overseas ...


However we have V for other sorts of visitors ...

Mediterranean Gull


Mediterranean Gulls – originally restricted to the Black Sea and eastern Mediterranean – now breed here ...




 
Little and Crested Terns


Little Terns, here with Crested Terns, breed in Europe, then over-winter in warmer climes – South Africa and Australia ...






Painted Ladies from Morocco fly in



Insects and butterflies can be blown to our shores, or arrive as part of their inbuilt existence ... Painted Ladies fly in from Morocco to breed ...




Common Scoter

Sea-birds such as the Gannet, Little Auk, Common Scoter, Razorbill and Guillemot ... all visit ...



Harbour seals frequent familiar resting sites, and will spend a few days at sea searching for feeding grounds ...



... the seals wait for other visitors ... anchovies, sea bass, herring, mackerel, cod, whiting and flatfish ...

 
European Anchovy


Eels, salmon are visitors ... on a larger scale – Basking Sharks visit following the upwellings, and tidal columns of plankton rich nutrients that the ocean currents bring to our shores ... many varieties of whales, dolphins, seals are seen around our shores at particular times ...

Common (Harbour) Seal


This island country with its shores has a plethora of flora and fauna, all with different habitat requirements, all dependent on nature ...




Salmon Sashimi

Many of these have been severely upset through habitat loss, pollution and human disturbance; damming of rivers, river regulation and sediment extraction affecting colonies ...






... the only visitor to our shores that seems to forget we need all of the natural habitat are those two legged creatures with a thing they call a brain – which needs to get out of its selfish-mode and protect this wonderful earth of ours ...


Frodsham Marsh, on Mersey estuary
with beautiful hinterland
My cautionary tale that is V for human visitors, who can be V for vultures ... and then thankfully V for delightful visitors to our varied, very special shore line ... from Aspects of British Coasts ...


Once again .. a little long, but I thought and hope it's worth posting ...  


Hilary Melton-Butcher

Positive Letters Inspirational Stories

34 comments:

Unknown said...

So many visitors and lots of interesting information about them all. Happy Friday, Hilary, and thank you for this lovely post!

Bob Scotney said...

A great tribute to our visitors that are not as dangerous as us.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

We are definitely the most dangerous animals! Hoping that we can all learn to protect our treasures on sea and land.

mail4rosey said...

You've got so many interesting things here.

I like the double decker tram.

And when you put the population numbers on the table like that, the growth looks/is amazing (there and everywhere!

Fil said...

I loved Blackpool - only ever visited once but it was like a snapshot of a more innocent time. Definitely plan to be back again some time.

Really interesting post Hilary - when this challenge is over I'll be back for a look through your earlier posts.

Have a great weekend
Fil at Fil's Place - Old Songs and Memories

Mason Canyon said...

As visitors we humans do help in some respects, but do so much damage in others. Very informative post, Hilary. I always enjoy the photos you include with your post.

Jo said...

I remember being taken to Blackpool as a kid, lo these many years ago.

Never realised 'seaside' visiting was such a modern pastime. I guess if I had thought about it, but didn't.

Like you I wish we humans would take more care. First thing we saw when the snow left the park in front of our windows were plastic bottles.

betty said...

That painted ladies butterfly is gorgeous! We have the monarch butterflies here which are colorful, but this I would like to see. Sounds like a wonderful place to visit; I probably won't ever get there, but I'm sure those who do visit enjoy their time there!

betty

Patsy said...

I like visiting beaches, but when I get there it's generally the non human visitors I most with to see.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Blackpool grew really fast.

LittleCely said...

Another interesting post Hilary. I hope to one day be able to visit the same coasts you've been writing about this month.

LittleCely's Blog

Rosaria Williams said...

So true of human visitors: we have been vultures everywhere we have gone.

Maria said...

So many very captivating photos!

Happy weekend ahead!

cleemckenzie said...

What great pictures of those beautiful creatures that favor the English coast. Seven miles of sandy beach sounds just about right, right now. I'd be there in heartbeat, if I could.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Before tourism was regulated, I think wildlife and nature in general suffered a bit. It still must as man calls the shot.

Visitors must be mindful of nature.

loverofwords said...

Love the coloring of the birds and other species. The black and white bird's pattern would make a lovely top or skirt. The grays are beautiful too. Nature's palate is the best!

loverofwords said...

Love the coloring of the birds and other species. The black and white bird's pattern would make a lovely top or skirt. The grays are beautiful too. Nature's palate is the best!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I didn't realize people made the shore a vacation spot so many years ago. Of course, it would be the rich who had time and money for leisure.

klahanie said...

Hi Hilary,

Ah yes, the visitors. Our visitors might note our shores have taken quite the battering, from the weather, that is.

Blackpool is a place I enjoy when I leave the place. The only time I would go there is during the illuminations.

Visitors are warmly welcomed to this green and pleasant land. Thank you for this pleasant journey, Hilary.

Enjoy your weekend, Arlee Bird allows you Sunday off for good behaviour. What a guy!

Gary

Silvia Writes said...

The Basking Shark is most certainly something to look at (from afar, of course) and be amazed. Lovely visitors, all of them. Interesting thing is that we likely look like visitors to them.

Margie said...

And I hope to be a visitor 'to your shore' next year.
Another delightful post, thank you, Hilary

Julie Flanders said...

I hope I get to visit your coast someday. I didn't realize the railroads were what made vacations affordable for ordinary workers but that definitely makes sense. Interesting!

Love the pic of the terns - how cute. :)

Anonymous said...

A lot of hard work to present this information making it worthwhile for readers to visit your blog. Learned a lot which always makes me happy.

Lisa said...

How do you pronounce Bispham? What a name! I'm with you that we'd better wake up soon, before it's too late to save what we say we cherish...

Kathryn Thornton said...

I feel like I've read a lovely travel brouchure.
It is great that you point out that humans need more regard for our environment and the habitats of others.

http://katloveswriting.blogspot.com

Sue McPeak said...

Gosh, Hilary...how do you come up with soooo very much interesting information on every letter? I'm one of your VISITOR Fans. Fascinating visitors to your shores. Wonderful!
Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

Paula said...

I am in love with the idea of visiting the seashore in the summer. This was a really informative piece. I love all of your writings

Julia Hones said...

A nice reminder to protect the beautiful oceans and all these wonderful creatures...
Human beings have caused enough destruction.
Thanks, Hilary!

Tina said...

Your posts could never be too long! They are just a delightful blend of history, culture, your keen insight, and gorgeous pictures.

You are so right that as humans we do the most damage. Animals with their instincts seem to live in harmony, well except maybe when they (probably by us...) get transplanted out of their native habitat.

I'm just a wee bit disappointed V wasn't for Vikings invading your coasts...sigh ;-)
Tina @ Life is Good
A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

Tina said...

Your posts could never be too long! They are just a delightful blend of history, culture, your keen insight, and gorgeous pictures.

You are so right that as humans we do the most damage. Animals with their instincts seem to live in harmony, well except maybe when they (probably by us...) get transplanted out of their native habitat.

I'm just a wee bit disappointed V wasn't for Vikings invading your coasts...sigh ;-)
Tina @ Life is Good
A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Sharon – thanks ... it was a post I enjoyed writing – sort of puts life into perspective against the way we live now ..

@ Bob – thanks .. yes humans, sadly, are the worst ... but we get to write about our world and can see things from other perspectives if we care to look – some of us do .. I’m pleased to say ..

@ Elizabeth – like Bob .. I agree with you .. and I hope we can learn to appreciate that nature is good for us in all its guises ... treasures on sea and land, as you say ...

@ Rosie – I did rather go long on this one – but added the photos ... and yes, a tram ride would be good wouldn’t it ...

I like putting statistical data (however simple) in .. as we can see how fast the population grew ... and now all the other countries too ...

@ Fil – thanks for visiting – I’ll be over to see you – had the computing glitches but on a temporary fix now thankfully ... I’ve never been to Blackpool- but I must say it’s a place I’d like to see ... great to see you here ...

@ Mason – we can help as you say, but sadly we do so much damage ... and of ten it’s just the dropping of litter ... silly: pick it up and take it home ... I hope it happens sometime.

Thanks re the photos – I try and get them to match up – makes it easier to ‘read’ the post I think .. so glad to have the thumbs up!

@ Jo – we went past to the Lake District for a few years ... but otherwise stayed in the west – Cornwall. We forget how much life has changed, and how quickly don’t we .. electricity has only been around about 150 years ..

Isn’t litter awful .. so sad to see your park like that – it’s everywhere unfortunately ... like you I wish the perpetrators would pick it up and take it home ...

@ Betty – the painted ladies are beautiful aren’t they .. and yes your monarch butterflies are similar – well I hope you can get over ... or at least my posts will have given you a flavour of British coastal life ...

@ Patsy – totally agree anything but humans! But last night the Eastbourne beach was stunning in its colours ... the photos appear on Z ...

@ Alex – yes .. think what was happening in London!?!

@ Cely – I too hope you can get over to visit our shores .. delighted I’m enticing you over ..

@ Rosaria – unfortunately vultures is a good word for some of our human life ... others are great, though!!

@ Maria – so glad you enjoyed the photos ..

@ Lee – thanks ... I enjoy finding matching photos ... 7 miles of sandy beaches .. we need the sunny weather please too!!! Yesterday was lovely down here as you’ll see in my 7.00pm shots of Eastbourne beach front ... and now I need to collapse for a while ..

@ Teresa – I’m sure man inflicted a great deal on nature ... before they realised the importance of all the species – unfortunately man and big business call the shots, rather more often than they should ...

Exactly: mindful of nature ... and respect for one and all ...

@ Natalie – nature’s palette is the best isn’t it – there you are so right ... I loved the crest on the tern billowing out in the wind ... such amazing colours and colouration ...

@ Gary – our shores have had it this year ... and I guess if the weather’s good .. it’ll be like Blackpool Beach down here too!! I’d like to visit Blackpool sometime ...

Thankfully we do welcome tourists and visitors ...

Part 2 following ...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Silvia – that shark is huge isn’t he .. and he comes winging up our shores guzzling all those tiny plankton bits and bobs and lives happily ever after ...

I’m sure we are visitors to them – sadly not encouraging ones most of the time ...

@ Margie – that’s good news if you’re intending to visit next year ... I hope we can meet somewhere along the line ...

@ Julie – I hope you can get over .. and certainly Martha’s Vineyard is on my list – I’d love to see your family area .. and will have read your book by then! And re-read your posts so I’ll know lots ... Glad you too like the terns .. couldn’t resist them ...

@Stepheny – I’m just delighted you think the blog worthwhile visiting ... and that you learn a few things along the read ... thanks so much and I’ll be by shortly ..

@ Lisa – I think Bisfam – but I’ve actually no idea ... and I can read the squiggles that tell you how to pronounce something in Wiki – something I need to read up on I guess ...

Yes we really do need to take care of our world – let’s hope we do wake up soon ...

@ Kat – thanks so much .. I’ll be over to read your blog soon ... I think it’s important to remind ourselves how precious our world is, and how we need to consider and other humans too ...

@ Sue – I just enjoy putting together interesting snippets – and am so glad it passes muster ... lovely to see you and I’ll be over shortly ...

@ Paula – thanks so much .. I hope one day you can get over here ... and appreciate that you ‘understood’ the post sufficiently to be informed ... and I’m really grateful for your complement: thank you so much!!

@ Julia – we need our gentle reminders don’t we – end encourage others too .. we do destroy or litter – without thinking ...

@ Tina – so many thanks .. you’ve always been such a great supporter and flag bearer ... I’m just delighted they provide the right sort of blend to be read with a degree of enjoyment ..

We need to remind ourselves to look after our country, earth and peoples better ... we don’t always help ...

Yes – well I could have done V for Vikings – but there’ll be a lot of that soon, once I’ve been to the exhibition ... then you can gloat at your Viking heritage ..

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments and support ... cheers for now and I’ll see you at the blogging coal face soon ... Hilary

Michelle Wallace said...

I'm thinking that we don't actually need to seperate "human visitors" and "vultures"... they seem to be one and the same...
Love the Painted Lady...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Michelle - another comment that slipped in ... some just never appear in my email - so now looking for something I find your comment ...

Yes I was implying human visitors and vultures are often of similar disposition .. sadly. Those butterflies are a delight - Painted Lady such a good descriptive name ..

Cheers Hilary (2 years' late but never mind!)