Monday 7 December 2015

West Country Tour – Liskeard … Part 7 …



Onwards across the River Tamar, into Cornwall and on to Liskeard … on the outskirts of Emily Hobhouse’s stomping ground … and we needed to be at St Ive Church, not the artistic harbour of St Ives, but Emily’s father’s home for over 50 years.
 
Liskeard Museum in a granite grey
landscape setting - reminding me of
dark satanic mills

First a visit to the Museum, lunch and then our meeting … but to start with a little history about Liskeard – an ancient Stannary and market town.





Casserite - tin ore
A Stannary would be found at locations near a tin mine - where the tin was assayed (tested for purity), coined and sold.  The principal role of a Stannary town was the collection of tin coinage, the proceeds of which were passed to the Duchy of Cornwall or the Crown.



Mozzie pestered frog - mural at The Fat Frog
Cornish and Devon Stannaries were granted their rights in the 1200s and had particular importance – which I wrote about in my Cornish A-Z posts this year under “T is for Tin Miners, …”.  There’s also an A-Z “D” post for the Duchy of Cornwall.





Pipe Well ... the springs have never run dry ... and it
is probable that this is why the town settlement was here
from very early days ... it was first recorded in writing in
the 14th C


Liskeard was mentioned in the Domesday Book, and was one of the 17 Antiqua Maneria of the Duchy; Richard, Earl of Cornwall (brother of Henry III) granted the market charter in 1240.







Slightly out of focus .. but I
thought a great sign
This ties in with the first part of Liskeard’s name ‘Lis’, which means the conferring of ancient privileges, indicating that the settlement was once a high status court.




Harry Crocker and his gypsy family


Jenny knew exactly where she was going … supposedly … and I in my wisdom decided that my car could go the wrong way up a very short one-way street, squeeze through an exit to re-join the road in. 





Swing Frog in the Fat Frog cafe
That little escapade surprised a few people, but I really couldn’t turn round … I might have had to – but my eyes were correct and I could squeeze the exit!!  Jenny had been getting ‘quietly’ agitated saying you can’t do this, you - - simply - -  can’t do this …




A Fiddle Seed Drill ... Aero Broadcast -
Hand Seed Sower


Now! we were on our way to the car park! And then the Museum to see the Emily Hobhouse papers on show.  There were a few things Jenny needed to update the Museum on … which she duly did, while I wandered around.





The museum is very small … but has exhibitions on the main economic facilitators for the town – tin mining and agriculture, while promoting various local characters from the past … including:

Emily on the left, with her sister Maud
about 1865


“the famous suffragette, Emily Hobhouse, an incredibly courageous lady who changed the lives of many people in the Boer War, whose ashes are under the Women’s Memorial, in Bloemfontein, South Africa.”





The Fat Frog cafe



I am going to write a post about Emily … but will wait til the New Year … as there are some things I need to clarify and I want to make sure my approach suits all parties.




Another wonderful sign!



We needed lunch before we went off to meet an artist lady, who lives near St Ive, had become enamoured with Emily and who had asked Jenny and I to come and stay the night.  Well that was a surprise … and what a lovely visit it was – more anon …




This is a model of HMS Rhododendron, which the town 'adopted, in the War
at 1941 ... but was recreated in icing sugar in 2005 -
and is on show in the Museum:  I didn't note why!

Lunch … off to the Fat Frog we went … a friendly café, which Jenny knew well, and as you can see with some unique décor … I had bacon, chicken salad, while Jenny had a cauliflower cheese with bacon and tomato … all adequately sufficiently to take us through to Church … as that’s where we were next headed …


We are slowly working our way round … and we've reached Cornwall …


Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories

37 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

The icing sugar ship is quite something isn't it? A LOT of work went into that.
The Domesday book was been a boon to historians ever since it was created hasn't it? I wish my country had something similar.

Blogoratti said...

Really interesting tour, and thanks for sharing the journey.

jabblog said...

What a busy schedule but so interesting.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Glad you were able to squeeze your car through the one-way exit! Wow!

And I love that sign, too. :) Die anyway, for sure!

Out on the prairie said...

You fit a lot in your day, so do I

beste barki said...

Die anyway! To keep that in mind and to plod on anyway... What enjoyable plodding you're doing together with Jenny. Salut, Beste

Anabel Marsh said...

The Fat Frog looks like my kind of place! Great picture of Emily and sister - I love old photos. Finally, having suffered (as a passenger) a similarly gung ho attitude in Kirkwall's narrow lanes this summer, I empathise with your friend's plight. My cries of "You can't go down there" were no doubt similar. Still - we survived, as did you. I'm probably just a wimp.
Anabel's Travel Blog
Adventures of a retired librarian

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ EC - yes I was surprised by the icing sugar model - wonderfully depicted though. Hasn't the Domesday book been hugely beneficial to us over the eras ... talk about record keeping.

The needs of the 11th C were somewhat different to ours ... but I'm sure the British would have recorded loads of things when we charitably donated some convicts to set/start your Australia on the right and proper road! in the late 1700s/ early 1800s!!! We were avid recorders of information ...

@ Blogoratti - glad you're happily coming along with us ...

@ Janice - well we were having a good time ... and so I'm glad everyone's happy to pop in and say hi occasionally - good to see you.

@ Elizabeth - yes it was quite interesting ... well nothing wrong with my eyes apparently! I was surprised the authorities had left sufficient room.

Isn't the sign great ... "Die Anyway" - yes each day that end-date gets nearer ... but fun to see ...

@ Steve - There's lots to mention, so I'm including extra bits and bobs ... but to make the post interesting as the tour continues - I hope!

@ Beste - I know - the sign was wonderful to see .. and I loved the Mozzie and Swing Frogs - made me smile. We had a fun 8 days .. and we're only starting the 4th day ... but enjoyable plodding it was.

@ Anabel - how good to know I'm not the only loony out there! Your friend giving you a gentle slimness ride in Kirkwall. I just needed to get out - so I could go and park and we could get to the Museum!

Yes the photo of Emily and her sister are great aren't they, I've got some others for when I do my post.

Thanks so much for taking time out and commenting - appreciate the time ... cheers Hilary



Christine Rains said...

Sometimes those little museums hold such fascinating surprises! Have a lovely week.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

I was pregnant when we were in Cornwall. I have memories of going for long walks by the country side and sometimes looking out the Windows on green pastures and cows. Nice times.
You do so much research and work so hard on your posts that it is no less than writing a chapter of a book.
Thanks for sharing all the info.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

PS. I remember now that it was Redruth Hospital in Cornwall where we lived just about a year while my husband was doing his training.

Rhodesia said...

The Fat frog looks a fun place and I love the décor. Another great post well done Hilary. Keep well Diane

Joanne said...

glad you could squeeze your way through to more adventures and the Fat Frog Cafe. Love the name. All of this history is awesome. I want to follow your blog path and poke into these corners. Thanks as always for sharing the journey

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tour-- so much adventure!

Sorry to leave a link, Blogger won't allow my wordpress comment:
Daily (w)rite

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That cafe sounds like a hoot. I love all their little signs. Your trips are so interesting.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Wow, going the wrong way to get to the right of way? Are you my relative? I think you are. I do these types of things all the time.

Love the diner sign.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fat Frog - great name for a restaurant.
I can just see you squeezing your car through the wrong way!

cleemckenzie said...

Your journeys are always filled with exciting tidbits of history. Imagine a spring mentioned in the 14th century that's still providing water! It's things like this that remind me of the greatness of our earth. Great to visit you again after my hiatus. A lot of water has passed under that proverbial bridge since last I commented on your super blog.

Julie Flanders said...

I love the name Fat Frog! And the Swinging Frog in the cafe is even better. I am getting caught up on your West Country Tour and can't wait to read more about Cornwall - one of the top places on my list of "someday" visits.
How awesome to see that picture of Emily and her sister. Old photos are so fascinating to me.

Murees Dupè said...

I should definitely visit more of the local museums in my area. I think I am missing out. Like always, love reading about your visits.

Karen Lange said...

What a great trip, thanks so much for sharing more about it. Love the pictures, especially the dinner one. I may have to make one like that for my kitchen. :) So glad you are enjoying yourselves!

ana said...

Hi Hilary so interesting reading about your journey...Thank you.
Take care Ana...

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the look and sound of 'Fat Frog' your menu choices sound lovely ...

All the best Jan

Jo said...

I really enjoyed Cornwall when we went there some 42 years ago. Of course I pigged out on the cream. It was November and I was paddling, it was so warm. Had some wonderful food. At least one place thought we were somebody famous travelling incognito.

Had some fabulous crab/lobster meals too.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Christine - I agree .. the smaller museums are often full of treats and creative ideas

@ Munir - I remember you said you lived in/near Redruth while your husband trained. Lovely times - Cornwall was fun and wonderful to be in - a quiet county. Thanks re the thought on my posts ...

@ Diane - the Fat Frog was fun and we needed some lunch ... while the signs amused me.

@ Joanne - I was grateful for the squeeze! Isn't the Fat Frog a wonderful name. The history is all around us here - you're very welcome to come with me on my journeys and check in the corners I visit for extra info.

@ Damyanti - it's the little things that amuse and educate isn't it - and I'm happy sharing some of it. No worries re the link ... yes I have to work my way round to comment sometimes.

@ Susan - the cafe was popular .. with classic signs around to amuse. I'm happy you find the info I give interesting ...

@ Teresa - well it wasn't intentional! I might just be your relative!! ... but I must be a minor relative, as I don't go round the wrong way that often! Fun thought though ...

@ Alex - isn't a great name: Fat Frog. I wangle my way round things if I can ... I just hope my 'escapades' aren't too obvious!

@ Lee - good to see you ... and yes we have so much history. That spring recorded in the 14th C would have been there for millennia before that.

Good to see you after your hiatus .. and life is life isn't it - but am very happy to have you back.

@ Julie - the Fat Frog with its wall murals of Swinging Frog and Mozzie Frog are fun.

That's wonderful to hear you're enjoying my tour round. I didn't really tour on my 2015 A-Z Cornwall posts .. just mentioned rather a lot of venues - this tour through Cornwall is very specific re Emily.

I've more old photos to post .. they do fascinate don't they ...

@ Murees - well it's a good way of gathering information which you could write about .. hope you do get to look around - the Cape has lots of history. Very happy to have you here.

@ Karen - it's a pleasure .. I seem to be extrapolating the journey out: but I'm finding it fun as I remember bits and bobs. The signs are fun aren't they - inspiring to think about.

@ Ana - am happy to have you along ...

@ Jan - the Fat Frog was a good choice - Jenny had visited before when she was over from Vancouver Island. So knew where to go ...

@ Jo - Cornwall is difficult not to like ... as you know. Cornish cream, fresh fish, crabs ... and then the long walks available. Fun to keep appearances up as perhaps a travelling incognito couple.

Thanks to you all - it's wonderful having you all sharing the journey with Jenny and I ...

Patsy said...

He he - I can imagine the scene in the car with her saying you can't do it and you proving her wrong!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Patsy - I'm not sure if it was that I couldn't squeeze through ... or I was flouting the law! But I'm glad I made it ... and didn't get a ticket! Cheers Hilary

Chrys Fey said...

Fat Frog is a funny name for a cafe. One of those places you have to eat at to experience it.

Cornwall is such a rich, historical place. Makes me want to know more about where I live but I bet it won't be as interesting.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

The icing sugar ship seems fantastic. Trump would be proud of you, squeezing your car the wrong way down a one way street! Cornwall holds such history. You make the journey fascinating.

Janet Johnson said...

Oh my goodness! Your journey the wrong way up the street was cracking me up! I could just picture the scene!! What exciting adventures you've been having. I need to take an adventure like this. You have me NEEDING this.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Chrys - yes the Fat Frog is a great name and one that stands out in Liskeard. Britain in general is historically so interesting ... the advantage we have is .. we've been here recording these things for centuries - and as technology improves we find out more - that's so interesting.

@ Roland - I agree: I was bemused to find the model was made of icing sugar. I'd rather not know Mr Trump at all ... or come anywhere near him! However I was proud of me ... working out my car would squeeze through!

Thanks ... I'm reliving the journey which is fun - and as I can take my time I can take more in and think about the history a bit more.

@ Janet - well I was laughing and very relieved to be able to squeeze through: the thought of reversing was distinctly less appealing! We had fun and as I said to Roland - writing about it .. has brought things to light and reminded me of incidents.

Pleasure .. and I'm enjoying the sharing - thanks for commenting everyone - cheers Hilary

Susan Scott said...

With all the nonsense going on in SA right now, your posts are a breath of fresh air Hilary thank you. I couldn't help but smile at your going up a one-way street the wrong way.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - I had to check ... and think it must be the firing of Nene - and Zuma's continued bullying tactics ... and putting himself first and not the country, especially economically.

The 'winging' it with the car makes me still smile!

Good to see you here - thanks ... Hilary

DMS said...

I somehow missed this post- but scrolled down today and found it. I love a good museum and this one sounds excellent. Small ones are often full of surprises. Great mix of photos and information. :)
~Jess

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jess - thanks so much for checking this post out and commenting - the museum is fascinating. There's a camera display and all kinds of information about the social way of life - really interesting ...

So good to see you - thank you - cheers Hilary

Jeffrey Scott said...

The Fat Frog. A cool name, look like it was nice place to visit and good food.
Sorry, I've been behind in my blog reading. I'm trying to catch up.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jeffrey - it is a cool name with some delightful illustrations - and we had a good lunch. No worries - everyone's busy at the moment ... thanks for coming by and commenting though - cheers Hilary