We've just been looking at the French Revolution – guided by an excellent ex-history teacher – and I offered to give a talk about 'Napoleon and his Contested Legacy' … only clever because I'm plagiarising it from an article I came across!
|Coup d'etat - painting (after the event)|
by Bouchet (1840)
The French Revolution is a complicated period in history … and we've had some very good talks – I'm always learning.
My eclectic brain came to the fore again regarding a post – not for our history group – but for anyone who is kind enough to visit the blog.
I'd never heard of 'Brumaire' – believe it or not !… it was the second month in the French Republican Calendar – “which lasted for the longest time of all: twelve years (1793 – 1805)”.
The Coup of 18 Brumaire brought General Napoleon Bonaparte to power, and in the view of most historians ended the French Revolution.
|Month of Brumaire|
What fascinated me were the details found in the French Republican Calendar – such as …
- each month lasted 30 days, divided into three 10-day weeks …
- Every day of the year had the name of an agricultural plant – except! …
- The fifth days were named after a domestic animal,
- and the tenth days were named for an agricultural tool
- The Calendar began in September at the Autumnal Equinox
|Foggy Misty day ...|
It is an interesting calendar – useless to us, who all use the Gregorian one - but I was drawn in when I saw each of the 30 days – don't ask about the extra days … see the link.
- Today is November 17th ...and we would be Watercress 'Cresson';
- then a couple of others: Beet Root 'Betterave' is for 4th November;
- November 27th features SweetPea 'Macjonc'
Just fun to look at and think about …
|Republican Calendar - to be|
found in Lausanne's Museum
The foggy month of Brumaire will live on in history as the time Napoleon came to power as the First Consul of France, when it is thought the French Revolution ended (1789 – November 1799).
Here endeth my lesson about the French Revolution – with the interesting (I think) French Republican Calendar …
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories