Thursday 10 August 2023

New Home celebration Dinner Party … 1/4

 

Frankly I cannot remember what I served as the first course for my father's party … but I do remember a few other facts …


Champagne Cocktail
I'm not sure how long he'd been in the Northamptonshire house – but it was as he wanted it … and we were expecting 80 for drinks beforehand, then 30 were staying on for dinner … my mother by then was in Cornwall, I was in London as well as betwixt and between ...



We were living in the 1960s era … so it was going to be pretty posh – not the relaxed way we (some) live today …


All expected drinks would have been available – but as the main on offer was a Champagne Cocktail … I remember a baby bath full of ice and champagne bottles … with brandy awaiting in the glasses …



also sugar cube on the side … apparently it keeps the devil away, or slightly sweetens the champers – as in the early/mid 20th century – it'd have been much drier than many champagnes tend to be today …

Angostura bottle


Angostura Bitters was also added … to aid appetite and digestion … and to balance out the drink … I enjoy a few drops of Bitters in a tonic water – it is very refreshing …




Cattle in the pasture by 
Thomas Sidney Cooper (1881)
My father had been putting in a lot of work in the garden – and it was looking tidy and well kept – until Tuesday morning … when, while he was in London, I was about to start preparing the food elements …




Muddy damaged bank
'about to start' being the operative part of this saga … I heard rather a lot of noise going down the drive towards the tidy garden – which had three tiers of grassy banks … towards the lawn …


'Separated, not divorced!' - the
title by 'Cow Cooper' (1874)

horror upon horror – I looked out of the kitchen window to see a herd of cows walking through! They are large animals and that tidy garden was no more – I dashed round to the drawing room (as we called it) to look out to see a very muddy garden full of cows!



there wasn't much I could do – though the after-effects, once the cows had been herded out along to their normal pasture, were pretty soul-destroying … ah well! … a distant memory now … but a good excuse to put up the paintings by 'Cow Cooper' …



... we carried on – my father's sister and hubby arrived to help – by now it was probably the day … as I was into making fruit salad … my aunt somewhat floored me by asking if she should de-pip the grapes … that was the era …


Grape - cross section c/o Wiki
We survived and everyone had drinks and mixed, no doubt admiring the house – and then dinner came around … as I mentioned – starters … I can't remember … next comes the dessert, which forms part of WEP … the mains I do remember!


Northamptonshire - a map by
John Speed (1611)

Intimidating cows in the garden – good memories, de-pipping grapes – I'm sure I paid a bit more attention as the years ticked by!




C is for Cattle … and Cow Cooper … 4 April 2017


WEP 'Chocolat' Flash Fiction Challenge runs from 16 – 18 August … Desserts shall appear!  Do join us ... it's fun ... 


Hilary Melton-Butcher

Positive Letters Inspirational Stories

24 comments:

Keith's Ramblings said...

Champers, bitters, sugar cubes and grapes with pips in, what's not to like? A shame about the cows though! A delightful look back, Hilary.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Me being me, the best bit as the cows!!! YAM xx

Elephant's Child said...

A definitely memorable dinner party. For lots of reasons.
As an aside, himself refuses to eat the grapes in my fruit salad unless I buy the pip free version.

Joanne said...

I think there's a saying "Party 'til the cows come home". Sounds like the party didn't start until the cows clomped through. Hey, made it memorable and at least they didn't enter the house. Everything else sounded wonderful and champagne makes it all okay. Cheers!

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like a fun social event, minus the darn cows.

Liz A. said...

What a disaster with the cows. But at least it sounds like the house warming went off well.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What a shame about the cows!

Vallypee said...

A great blog, Hilary! I like memories; they can be very evocative, but I was sorry for you about the cows. What a shame! But that’s country life, isn’t it?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Keith - exactly what's not to like? ... the cows added some interest to the week! It was hard work, but worth it ... my Dad thought so - which was the main thing.

@ Yam - oh yes! ... cows - they certainly filled the garden ...

@ EC - oh I know lots of reasons for the memories. How interesting about your other half - but today we can get pipless grapes, but back then 1960s I don't think so ...

@ Joanne - there could well be - and is ... I see! and a song by Elvin Bishop (don't ask me - I know no more!). Yes - they didn't enter the house ... that would have been difficult - they wouldn't have got through the back door that's for sure ... but the evening was a success ...

@ Sandra - it was a lovely time ... lots going on - but I could have done without the cows ... I couldn't repair the trampled ground ...

@ Liz - I haven't had cows disrupt a party since!! Yes - my Dad was pleased with the house and his new life ...

@ Alex - shame about the cows - but memories today ...

@ Val - thanks ... I have to be across to you - you're on my list ... tomorrow I think, as I'm out today. Yes - country living delivers lots of oddities - it was a lovely place to live ...

Thanks so much to you all - memories ... it's what we have in, and makes up, our life ... cheers Hilary

Diane said...

That was quite similar to the way my parents used to entertain, gosh how things have changed, but I find as I get older entertaining is getting so much more difficult!! Great post, Cheers Diane

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Hello, Hillary: This is certainly one of those instances where a disaster at the time becomes an amusing story to be told later, but I can imagine that a few colourful invectives were directed at those cows as they tore up the garden! The party seems to have been a success and that’s what counts isn’t it? If every I have you come and plan a soirée here I’ll make sure the local bovines are safely locked away! Hugs - David

jabblog said...

What lovely memories to bring a smile to your face and to all your readers' faces. Perhaps you weren't planning to spill out into the garden. It sounds like a lovely party.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Sounds like such fun! What with the cows, champagne, sugar cubes, and company, it can undoubtedly be labelled a memorable celebration!

Hels said...

I haven't heard anyone say "we were expecting 80 for drinks beforehand, then 30 were staying on for dinner" since the 1960s :)

It was very expensive to feed all the guests one had at a big function, so caterers were prepared to charge full price for the sit-down dinner guests then half price for those invited to the late buffet. Families did it for engagements, weddings, 21st birthdays and bar mitzvas.
Your dad was very wise.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Diane - yes it was a 'hangover' from earlier in the 20th century ... as the 1970s went on life got simpler and easier, as more ingredients became available ... and we weren't tied to 'dining' if we didn't want to - we could have good supper type parties ... I just don't do entertaining now - though I'd like to!!

@ David - you're right - I don't often get to tell this tale ... but that Tuesday afternoon was awful - I tried to repair the garden, but gave up ... way too impossibly trampled!! I think everyone enjoyed themselves ...

Oh that'd be great - keep those large bovines away from your home ... so I, with Miriam's help (I hope) ... can ensure a peaceful time and only need worry about the food, and the birds!

@ Janice - thank you ... they do bring a smile to my face - though I must mention a couple of other things. Fortunately we weren't going out into the garden - it had been very wet ...I can't remember what time of year it'd have been - but I'd guess not winter!

@ Damyanti - it was hard work ... but in the end fun and it worked out very well and as you say was 'memorable' ...

@ Hels - I'm sure many never gave such parties ... especially self-catering as we were. My Dad was wise ... he realised I had a reasonable talent for 'food' and entertaining ... loved it!

Now life has changed a great deal for many ... it is somewhat cheaper to get caterers in ... still costs though. Families still do it on special occasions ...

Thanks so much - you've all raised various points and reminded me of other memories I could write up - cheers Hilary

Inger said...

My neighbor's cows come to visit me every now and then. They are welcome as they eat my weeds. All I have is weeds and dirt in my yard. The long drought we had made it impossible to do anything with the yard. This story from your life, reminded me of the azalea parties my first husband and I had every spring in Princeton.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

The cows were not being helpful! 60 is a big crowd for drinks!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Inger - yes and you have space in your canyon home - weeds will thrive in drought conditions won't they ... but if the cows eat them - then that's good, isn't it!

Azalea parties - now those sound fun ... and with those beautiful bushes and shrubs of colour as a background - I love seeing them in bloom.

@ Elizabeth - yes ... but the drinks were for 80 ... let alone the 30 for a sit down dinner later on - I had my work cut out ... and the cows were most definitely not helpful.

Cheers to you both ... happy memories - Hilary

bazza said...

That's a lovely memory. For me ANY event offering champagne is a good thing!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - thank you ... one from long long ago. I'm not sure how much champagne I had that night - with all the food I had to ensure got served ... but it was a sign of the times and my father's past. Cheers Hilary

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Inger - I know you commented ... and I saw it was on this post - with cows from Joyce's wandering across your property ... but somehow I think I must have inadvertently deleted it - apologies!! Cheers Hilary

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Inger - Oh I see - blogger did its funny bit - why it suddenly appeared again I've no idea - but I note I've already replied ... and I'm glad the azalea parties appear here - thank you ... Hilary

Deniz Bevan said...

Love this entire retelling through each post -- 80 for drinks! 30 for dinner! An amazing feat!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Thanks Deniz - fun memories from many decades ago. Thankfully the house was big enough to accommodate everyone and each part of the eventing ... the party, the dinner et al ... cheers Hilary