Wednesday 8 May 2024

Open Door theme prompt ...

 

I remembered my Write Edit Publish bloghop Caged Bird post from five years ago … into which the new theme could fit with some obvious changes – from closed to open … I need that closed one for another prompt next week … but …


What to post … so many rabbit holes I will be going down … graphic books, submarine canyons, Western Australian indigenous art, Siberian oil field exploration, lighthouses, nettles, blue stockings … and so it goes … and yes, of course, a fish banana recipe …



then this week I remembered something I could write about for a prompt and a memoir note on an open door incident that happened in the mid 1970s … 'killing three 'birds' at once' …


A rather too posh
dormer window mine
was definitely plainer

... this probably happened in the very hot summer of 1976 when I lived in Arundel Gardens –which I wrote about in 2020, link below – when my sitting room balcony doors would have been wide open onto the tiny balcony of my card-house flat – up five storeys …



I lived at the top - where
those three bedroom
windows appear - the balcony
is on the south facing side
Suddenly at the doors there appeared a man – strange but true – five floors up – where from, and why … and what do I do … thankfully he was obviously not 'a thug' … but getting away from a drug bust in one of the houses further down the street – and had managed 'to escape' along the roof tops and balconies – thus avoiding the police.




I had no idea what to do – call the police, let him out, send him further along at five storeys up … so for a while we talked – I cannot for the life of me remember what about … I was bemused!



Graphic story about Giorgina Anzulata
from the book by Penelope Bagieu -
more to follow soon (see link below)

Anyway in the end after some time I let him downstairs … presumably by then he could evade the police … and I never saw him again – nor did I have another interloper high up in the skies above Notting Hill …



Here endeth this post … to solve one of my problems – another easy one after my fables … which yesterday claimed another thought process – when someone produced a dictionary of proverbs … and wondered about the term 'Belling the Cat' – attributed as a fable to Aesop – but set under Mediaeval attributions outside the Aesopic canon.


'Belling the Cat' - painting
by Breugel (1559)

I'd never heard of it … yet Gustave Doré created an illustration (1868), as too Peter Bruegel in his paintings of Netherlandish Proverbs (1559).



My sortie into May … gosh I waffle on – things might come straight sometime soon – if I'm lucky and all being well …......


Congo submarine canyon, west Africa

Welcome month of May and in the northern hemisphere some sunnier, warmer weather – well for us in the UK at least … I hoped!


Penelope Bagieu - illustrator and comic designer ...  see Wiki ...  

My earlier post on Portobello and Ladbroke Gardens estate in west London ... 

Caged Bird - Write Edit Publish post ... 

Hilary Melton-Butcher

Positive Letters Inspirational Stories

28 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the variety of your rabbit holes. Glad you are back hopping into weird corners of the world.
I am laughing a lot at your "interloper" story. Glad he was just trying to escape and not looking to give you trouble. I admit, I'd have been asking him questions, considering what had happened. He would have been eager to escape ME.
Happy Wednesday! Be well and I'll send sun and heat your way.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Oh the adventures that appear when we aren't seeking them! YAM xx

Liz A. said...

That's scary. Five floors up and someone appears? Yikes. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as that could have been. (And it's always strange to see my last name in the wild, as it were. Arundel doesn't often come up as a place name.)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You did well to remain calm. It could've been ugly.

Elephant's Child said...

It is crowded in your head. And in mine.
Glad that your interloper was into avoiding rather than creating trouble.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

That's quite a story, Hillary!

Sandra Cox said...

Oh my gosh, Hils. That's a stunning story.

Rita said...

Fifth floor sudden uninvited guest!? Wow! Makes me hope he got away.
My mind is full of rabbit holes--lol!

Computer Tutor said...

Never apologize for your rabbit holes, Hilary. They are some of the more fascinating posts in the blogosphere.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Joanne – I'm afraid they are so varied … and there's more – my brain is in constant daunting mode (if that's possible!). 'My interloper' was more worried about being caught than concerned too much about worrying me …

Remember … were you as strong then as you are now … I know I wasn't … almost a little meek thing if you can believe it?!?!?!

We've got some sun and it's warming up slowly – thank you ….

@ Yam – I know I was having a peaceful evening enjoying the warm weather in my sky high pad! Still 49 years on … it's provided a good story!

@ Liz – I know … it was a bit of a surprise to put it mildly … still all well ended well - and he went off into the night of Arundel Gardens (street side). Lots of Arundel connections here in Sussex – the town is not too far away either.

@ Alex – I don't think we were in that era yet – ugliness came in later on … yes there were the gangs, but it tended to be in specific areas, not all over. Life has changed.

@ EC – my poor head must empty some of its tales very soon … help you with yours too. I'm glad I was safe – I never felt threatened … it was just strange at five floors up!

@ Karen – glad you enjoyed it …

@ Sandra – a fun tale to remember from the old days …

@ Rita – good to see you … oh I know five floors up – and the only way in was via the rooves and balcony … strange but true. I'm sure he got away – he was quite respectable looking and speaking …

@ Jacqui – thanks so much … muchly appreciated – my posts are certainly varied that's for sure. Just glad I never settled on one subject … and can let my writings wander along!

Thanks so much for being here – cheers to you – I'll be along shortly … Hilary

jabblog said...

I'm sure that encounter must have caused the adrenaline to flow. Perhaps he was more worried about you - and the police - than you were about him.

hels said...

Belling the cat is being brave, even when the risk of intervening seems high. I would never be a life saver in a rugged surf beach, for example, because of the inherent danger.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Even for you, Hilary, this one exceeds most stories! As a fetching young thing back then you must have had at least momentary concerns about an assault on your virtue, but I guess he had other pressing matters on his mind at the time! I am quite sure that few of us would have had a chat and let him out the door. It’s not hard to figure that he probably told this story a few times too! Hugs from Ontario - David

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Janice - I was just totally taken aback ... and I'm sure the adrenaline was flowing ... but thankfully he didn't cause me any problems - I suspect we were both a bit non-plussed - but all's well that ends well ...

@ Hels - thanks re Belling the cat fable ...

@ David - I don't think I really took in what was happening - certainly not something I'd ever considered with the only entrance via the roof! - unless an invitation was extended: the usual way. I think we were both quite glad when it was all over ... both safe in our own worlds again!

Oh well - back to normality of 'elderly age' here! - cheers Hilary

Anabel Marsh said...

What an adventure! You seem to have handled it with aplomb.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

He wouldn't have stayed long as I would've yelled. Loud. And then grabbed my gun!

Botanist said...

I remember the summer of 76. I think some of the heatwaves in recent years top that summer for sure, but nothing can beat the unexpected visitor five floors up!

Vallypee said...

Rabbit holes are wonderful places to escape down. I love them. I enjoyed your escape story too. That man must have been pretty bemused as well. I’m glad he wasn’t a thug!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Anabel - thankfully it was over easily and fairly quickly ... but 'fun' to remember all these years later ...

@ Diane - we don't have guns hanging around in England - I have to say I'm glad that's the way it is ...

@ Ian - I'm not sure about the 1976 heatwave being superseded ... it didn't rain for 5 months - but no doubt the numbers can be made to reflect whatever the weathermen or media tell us about! You're right - I've never had another visitor over the roof line ... I'm glad to say

@ Val - I think my interloper was very happy to have turned up at my balcony ... not where someone else lived ... but now I must get on with other rabbit holes.

Thanks to the four of you for visiting - we're still in Spring weather - so I'm going to enjoy it ... cheers Hilary

Jacqui said...

Another post worth reading, Hilary. Peter Bruegel (a cameo in your post)--a odd duck and fascinating person.

M. Denise C. said...

Great story, Hilary. Love the "Belling the Cat" painting . . . Cheers, Denise

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Jacqui - thank you ... the Peter Breugel connection came from a friend who comes to a group I belong to ... via the Dictionary of Proverbs ... and Belling the Cat - I saw her yesterday - and forgot to mention it - still next week.

Now looking a bit further - you've stirred my thought processes into drafting another post based around the Breugels' art works ... interesting to put it mildly ...

@ Denise - lovely to see you here. Thank you re Belling the Cat - obviously the proverb stirred a lot of memories ...

Cheers to you both - happy summer days! Hilary

Pradeep Nair said...

That intruder incident would have been such a scary thing. Anyway, you handled it very well.

Keith's Ramblings said...

Waffle on, we don't mind! I live four floors up with an external staircase, and sometimes get an uninvited guest when I leave my front door open - a fox!

Diane said...

Wow what a story, I have no idea what my reaction might of been. Think I would have probably thrown a fit. I am amazed that you stayed calm and had a chat them let him out of the door. Well done I am sure you did the right thing. Keep safe, Diane

Sandra Cox said...

So to make sure I knew what I thought I knew:) I looked up belling the cat:)
Have a great one, Hils.

Sandra Cox said...

Hope you're having a grand day, Hils. Cheers,

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Pradeep - it was certainly unexpected and I'm sure I was scared - I managed thank you, especially once I realised he wasn't threatening ...

@ Keith - thanks ... I do/can waffle ... oh yes ... we haven't had a fox up here - though could possibly as they're around; but had a pigeon in last week, and then a cat - which belongs to another flat owner ... the cat and we were surprised to see it! A fox I'd be somewhat agitated about ... but they don't much like humans!

@ Diane - well it's one I haven't told ... so now it's coming out - all my horror stories of times past! I couldn't see any point in having a heart attack or similar - why I don't know ... I'm not that brave usually ... we both went our separate ways - sensibly for us both, I think.

@ Sandra x 2 - I've had a couple of feedbacks from friends here re the 'Belling the Cat' story ... now I know! Actually I finally do feel better ... more improvement to follow I hope.

Thanks for your comments - I've thought of other oddities where bravery or stupidity on my part came into play ... I might post - but plenty of other interesting topics first ... lovely to see you all - cheers Hilary