Archaeology is an amazing discipline … we are learning so much about past lives … and while I was looking into the lost-wax casting method, via the bronze-age site in Cambridgeshire, the houses had been built on stilts above a riverine area about 3,000 years ago, …
... I was led to this wonderful sculpture: “Purple Reigns” by Carol Milne – a Canadian/American artist, who is best known for her Knitted Glass Work – glass sculptures utilising the lost-wax process.
"Purple Reigns" by Carol Milne
![]() |
| This was a winning entry at a Japanese Exhibition of Glass in 2010 |
She created this technique of 'how to knit glass' – which is set out in her Wiki link below … just so easy?!?!
Personally I've never liked knitting, I guess because back in the day we used wool – and that irritated my skin … eventually having realised what gave me the sweats … I eliminated wool from my wardrobe. Sorry!
I am always totally in awe of creative artists like Carol Milne who can imagine these kinds of works …
... I don't think Prince's Purple Rain had anything to do with my curiosity re wax-casting … but we'll (and I definitely won't) never know!

Prince's 'Purple Rain' found
within the album
'Prince and the Revolution'
As my eclectic wanderings have taken me – nothing like a 3,000 year old wander!! The links below give you lots more information … I do find knitting glass: amazing!!
Carol Milne - via Wiki ...
Lost-Wax Casting ...
Thanks for visiting …
Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories


19 comments:
Not so keen on the orange and green socks, but the purple piece is gorgeous!
Yeah, wool is scratchy. So many other fibers out there, though.
I had never heard of knitted glass, Hilary, but the results are impressive. I wish I could say the same thing about Blogger which is now not delivering new posts to the reading list. It has been four days since “full service” and the only way to see whether “regulars” have posted anew is to click on their blog from a previous comment, or laboriously scroll down the complete followers list. I hope they fix it soon. Have a wonderful weekend - David
@ Anabel - yes I didn't much like the orange and green socks ... but they reminded me of Roman socks I'd seen. But I totally agree the purple piece is amazing isn't it.
@ Liz - oh I'm hopeless with most clothes - yes I still wear them!!!
@ David - thank you ... you've clarified something for me ... I wondered why there hadn't been other comments - now I can understand.
I think I'm going to do what Val does when writing about her Dutch barge life ... I'll set up an email so when I write up a new post I can send it out ... so much keeps changing - it's difficult to keep up with.and remembering those one wants to connect with. I appreciate you coming over and clarifying this aspect.
Cheers to the three of you ... I'll be around as and when - all the best - Hilary
Love the purple reigns. Delicate. Beautiful and unique. Cheers,
This is amazing, humans can be so creative and talented <3 Prince is brilliant!
@ Sandra - yes very unique and stunning, that's for sure ...
@ Deniz - I agree ... so amazing. Yes we can be so creative and talented ....
Cheers you two - thanks for commenting and being here - Hilary
Hari OM
Clever works! And I see David has alerted you to the 'non-delivery' of posts to our readers... it's a pain... YAM xx
Wow - her work is amazing. I love any and all glass creations. Knitted glass is very unique. You find the most interesting topics as you wander. Very cool.
@ Yam - yes ... I was pleased to get David's info on Blogger being a pain (once again) ... I could see something had happened. The glass works are very impressive aren't they?
@ Joanne - I agree her work is extraordinary ... so clever to use the lost wax method for creating some of her sculptures ...
Cheers to you both and thanks for your visits - Hilary
Have a lovely weekend, Hils.
That's amazing what the artist has done with glass! Kudos! I did knit and liked it too, but haven't for a long time now due to eye issues. Have a wonderful weekend, Hilary.
David, it's better to rely on some other feed aggregators like Feedly to know if there is a new post on a blog that you follow.
I hadn't hear about glass knitting. Sounds quite interesting!
Wow knitting with glass That's special I love the Purple Reigns sculpture. Very clever.
Hey Hils, I'm back tomorrow;) Hope you are well. Thinking of you.
x
Wow. Glass knitting... That's not something I ever would have thought of. Super cool! And beautiful. Now my mind is exploding with all the possibilities...
Wow! Knitting glass? I never would have thought that was possible!
Post a Comment