Life ticks on … I'm still no further forward, yet slowly perhaps things are coming together health wise … debilitating, but not serious thankfully ...
![]() |
| It really was like this - a boiling, hot day at Birling Gap, E Sx |
![]() |
| The coombe rock is much softer than the chalk eroding at a faster rate; The cliffs are receding at an average of 70 cm (over two feet!!) per year |
We went off to look at the Crumbly Cliffs in the heat of the day … but with all the tourists' sightseeing (good for economy, I know) not good for their non-awareness of us locals being around … who theoretically know what we're doing and expect!
![]() |
| Electric Ice-Cream van - we found amusing ... but decided a proper lunch was better |
![]() |
| BHASVIC building located in the Brighton and Hove area |
Our speakers at the dinner were four of the eighteen students from Brighton, Hove & Sussex Sixth Form College who've been joining us for about six months – they spoke on:
- Brexit's impact on British democracy
- The Influence of Political Belief (systems) on young people
- The impact of Social Media on the European Union
- Is Extremism killing the European Union?
![]() |
| This is a book - of the Brexiteers' quotes put up on billboards around the country: such an appropriate commentary |
![]() |
| This is where they estimate the coastline will be in 2038 (not long to go) |
Now tennis is essentially over I can get back to 'normal', despite this I've another blip added in to the health aspects – age is a nuisance! Somehow I have to get back to blogging fairly regularly … so onwards and upwards: I hope …
![]() |
| This is the other side of the entrance steps - not far ... yet here we might be in 2043 |
Thanks for all your support – life will continue and the crumbly cliffs will keep crumbling, particularly after this extremely hot, dry year – what lies ahead … we do not know … but the crumble of so much will keep on!!
Brighton, Hove & Sussex Sixth Form College link
Wikipedia entry for BHASVIC ....
Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters Inspirational Stories








27 comments:
Sorry you are still struggling but glad you got out for some adventure and education.
Yeah, I’m trying to do the same so far as regular blogging. I post regularly on Facebook so am transferring some of those posts over to my blog on the appropriate date and time.
My fall, surgery, rehab and slow recovery makes for different posting than what I’ve done in the past.
My interests have been quite concentrated on local affairs for the last several years, and I have not kept up with bloggers and other stuff that I had in the past. I am trying to change it. Some have stopped blogging, and others have passed.
I know that it has been a while since I have commented here, but hopefully I’ll do more often in the future.
It is a shame your friend is leaving your area.
It rather looks as though your area is leaving you, and so many others. The rate of erosion is quite horrifying.
Sorry to hear your health problems are not quite resolved. What you are doing with school students sounds great - and I did love the Led by Donkeys billboard!
I would like to have heard "Brexit's impact on British democracy" and "Is extremism killing the European Union?"
Were they thoughtful and well presented?
Hari OM
Hilary, your occasional reports are much appreciated - and yes, age is a danged nuisance! One feels for the folk who live/d in those cliff-side homes... reminds me of Dunwich, on the East Anglian coast, where similar is taking place. YAM xx
It sucks when friends move away. But not you have an excuse to go and visit, if you can. I hope you are able to continue on your road to health.
I'm sorry health issues remain problematic for you. We are all crumbling like the cliffs. So sorry your friend is moving away. My two closest friends moved last year. It is difficult to find like-minded folks.
Love,
Janie
@ Alex - thanks ... lots of educating here, even if I don't get out much ... can't stop the learning ...
@ Mike - good to see you - that accident sounds awful, so pleased you're improving ...
@ Janice - yes a few of us are sad about the move westwards - but good for her. I know the chalk cliffs are disappearing as they will ... I wonder how long it'll be ...
@ Anabel - oh great you've read 'Led by Donkeys' : it's eye opening isn't it. The students are brilliant - and such a great addition to our Group - I'm looking forward to the learning I'll get from the students ...
@ Hels - they were short, but well presented points for us to consider - interesting.
@ Yam - thanks for welcoming me back ... I'm always around, just not very chuffed with physical life at the moment. I know people living near the edge are in a precarious position - I wonder how the towns in this area will survive the chalk erosion ... sadly I won't be around to find out!!
@ Liz - thank you ... travelling is one of those difficulties ... but we can face time and chat happily ... and I'll see what she gets out and about to visit ...
@ Janie - yes we are all crumbling ... I just didn't expect life to go this way - but life is life isn't it. I'm sorry your friends also moved ... like-minded souls are not easy to find, as you so rightly say ...
Thanks everyone - I hope I'll be on track again ... take care and cheers Hilary
Hello, Hilary. It’s great to see you back with us. Sad to learn that a good friend is moving away, but sadly these things happen. In recent years a few friends of ours have made the permanent move and last year alone Miriam lost two siblings. Just as the cliffs crumble so will we I suppose. Erosion is a huge problem in some parts of the world and you seem to have quite an issue with it in southern England. The idea of integrating youngsters into your activities seems quite fabulous. They will benefit from your wisdom and experience; you from their youth and exuberance. What a great combination! Many hugs - David
Thank goodness your health issues aren't completely stopping you from doing what you love best. Young people today are more worldly aware than we give them credit for, that must have been an interesting event. How different Birling Gap is now from how we remember it years ago - I feel some apple crumble coming on!
Sure do miss Eastbourne but I remember it from years ago when folks made fun of it cause of all the old people who retired there! You still have that lovely seafront and Beachy Head.
Nice to see a post from you, Hilary. I am sorry your health is a struggle, but at least you are still getting out and about, so that's a good thing. Wishing you all the best, including cooler temperatures!
@ David - thank you ... and yes I'll miss Sue, but we can keep in touch in this day and age. Oh how sad about Miriam's siblings - that hasn't started happening yet .. but obviously is getting closer for me: as you say - we will crumble away too. The Channel shows what was ... and we're at the edge of the gulf ... so we'll be in the drink fairly soon, but after I've gone ... my dinosaur bones might appear in the future!
The students joining us will be enlightening, that's for sure.
@ Keith - I'm just v slow and struggle, but generally ok. I'm always curious looking out for things - just can't do too much, but c'est la vie. Young people are special aren't they. When I first came here in 1992 ... life was different - I probably remember 1976 better! Hot summers of 1976 and 1995 ... now this. I'm not sure I can work out why everyone (well two of you!) want to eat Autumnal foods ... apple crumble ... me - I'm into Strawberries and Raspberries.
@ Kay - yes E/b is obviously in your heart - I must get across to check on the Rose window, when I do I'll report back. We're a place to retire to - though my brother came to work, and I when I returned from South Africa followed them, though I fall into the retiree age now.
@ Debbie - thanks so much - on occasions I can do things - just can't go far ... but the brain still works.
Cheers to you all ... still hot, hot, hot ... take care - Hilary
I'm sorry to hear your friend is moving, Hils. That's always hard. Also sorry the cliffs are crumbling and the cottages that are too close are disappearing.
I think it's a wonderful idea to integrate students into your set up.
Wishing you much good health soon realized.
You must tell me what you mean about the Rose Window. Is it in a church there? I think I told you that Richard has his photos on the church website for All Souls Church in Eastbourne. It is behind the Beacon shopping center. Someone from there saw his photos on my blog and asked if they could use them. You know he said yes.
Crumbling along, yet your sense of humor shines through. I can picture a twinkle in the eye, despite an age hindrance. Indeed, you have many blog friends behind you. Tennis was great fun, as has been the World Cup. (Sorry for England) Folks seemed to have a lot of fun in TX and that's been amusing to see.
Very glad you are engaging with some young folks. No doubt all parties a learning and enjoying the experience. And dining in air-conditioning - aaah - that's the life! Take care
oh Hilary Sorry to hear about your health problems and your friend moving to Cotswold I hope you can visit her there as a woman I know is there at the moment and it looks absolutely gorgeous. The European dinner sounds interesting and how great to involve young people to talk about important topics even if there were only a few of them. These things should happen far more. You take care and hope things go well for you onwards Hilary. ❤️
An electric ice cream van. Pretty cool. Have a health-filled day, Hils. Cheers,
The heat has had a negative affect on so many things, hasn't it? Hope the doc takes care of your health-blip. Thinking of you.
Hope your day has been serene and your evening pleasant:)
Agreed! Age IS a nuisance! LOL! You know, it's okay to miss a little blogging for real worldling. ;)
July had been a very busy month for me; and I am now catching up with the posts of some of my favourite bloggers. I missed this post. Sorry to see that health has been a cause for worry. I hope you are well and truly on the mend. Wishing you the best.
I'm sorry for your health issues Hilary, but glad they are not serious. Age is definitely a nuisance, no two ways about it. :) Wishing you more trips and education and entertainment as you get better at managing it. Take care. <3
Hope you are doing okay and the health issues aren't any worse- hoping they are improving. Sounds like your dinner was very interesting! Sorry to hear about your friend moving away- the can be hard. Sending you a big hug across the miles. :)
Crazy to see cliffs crumbling. Good for you, coming back to blogging. Looks like a good summer trip.
“As the alluring song of September begins to whisper in my ear, my passionate spirit yearns for the splendor of its promise." -- Peggy Toney Horton.
J (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) @JLenniDorner ~ Speculative Fiction & Reference Author and Co-host of the April Blogging #AtoZChallenge international blog hop
@ Sandra - thanks for your thoughts - health is troubling, but not serious thankfully - just a great nuisance ... the electronic Ice-Cream van was fun to see ...
@ Kay - yes the Rose Window is in the Church where Richard has his photos ... I have to check whether they're still there, but I'm a little inhibited getting around too much. I'm glad someone saw his photos ... the interaction from blogging etc is amazing isn't it ...
@ Joanne - I am crumbling! Sad, but true. Yup I mix and match ... the students are amazing - I'm staggered!! Love it. Sport for the summer not quite over, but nearly ... I've enjoyed it - a relief from the heat outside (for me anyway) ...
@ Marja - thankfully life goes, and yes I miss Sue - but it's good for her, which is the important thing. Lots of opportunities and thoughts abound - but it's great to have the youngsters around to interact with. I see you've been over in Europe - I must catch up ...
@ Crystal - I never quite envisioned this ... but c'est la vie - I must get on with getting old!! Thanks re missing the bloggng - lots to write about ...
@ Pradeep - I keep meaning to come over to you ... I must set a list up to keep in touch with some blogging friends.
@ Nila - oh I miss so many blogging friends ... and you've. so much to offer us ... I'll be over soon(ish!!) ...
@ Jess - life is a nuisance and somehow I must move along with it - I'll be over to see you - though those riddles defeat me!!
Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I'll be around soon ... cheers Hilary
Post a Comment