Monday 16 March 2009

Like a pinball - serendipity .. the coincidence of making happy discoveries ...part 2/3


Dear Mr Postman .. did you say there's a game in here .. that will be interesting ... another positive letter and story ..

Did you play pinball as a child? I'm sure my father made us a board - he was a very good carpenter - and I remember playing, particularly when I was sick & confined my room, for hours - kept me out of mischief! The silver balls flying round the board, bumbling against the pins, some dropping in the scoring holes, most ricocheting towards the failure line! The spring based loader setting the balls off in their upward spiral before the 'pinball' effect comes in as they're buffeted against the pin obstacles or drop into the holes, provided endless amusement to a small child.

So as with my posts .. each day something will crop up and my mind springs into action - as to a main topic .. but then other ancillary thoughts creep in and are bolstered by a reference source at home: a book, an article, a letter, a conversation .. or by Googling or Wiki-ing = always something that will interest my mother and perhaps make her laugh .. and therefore I hope others ...

These ancillary discoveries just add another dimension to each post .. and bring a lightness of knowledge, or an interesting snippet to your attention - hopefully setting your minds off in other directions to unrelated discoveries of your own.

I rather like the inter-relationship of various ideas within one post .. linked by a main theme .. it amuses me (as Queen Victoria said!!) & gives you dear reader food for thought .. What do you think? I'd love to know .. so look forward to hearing from you ....

Mr Postman .. thank you for delivering this letter to us .. we do enjoy your daily mail ..

2 comments:

Peter Baca said...

Hello Hilary,

Interesting post on your past with pinball! Your post brought to mind my experiences with pinball. Mainly at the fraternity house when I was in college! Ours was electronic but we competed against each other for fun!

Pete Baca
The Car Enthusiast Online

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Pete .. thanks - it's one of those kid things and I'm glad it reminded you of your college days .. even if by then it had been "electronified"!! It was amusing and kept friends together enjoying themselves.

Thanks for visiting - Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy