Sunday 15 March 2009

Pinball .. Bagatelle .. the ricocheting in my brain as it spins ...part 1/3


Dear Mr Postman .. you have brought us a positive letter on how these stories come about ...
I'm often asked where I get my ideas for the blog from .. from you!, from my friends, from letters sent to my mother, things I come across .. the concept for the blog (still being refined!) was to put these thoughts into what I've described as Hilary's snippets, but entitled Positive Letters .. as they are ...

Before the blog started .. I was writing to relations and friends & ex employees of my mother's (she used to own a Care Home in Newlyn, just outside Penzance, in Cornwall - near Lands End) and I've always made these letters positive in content, while at the same time informative & have always included some of the stories I've told Mum - we've found interesting or funny ..

... so important to provide interesting information for various reasons .. people don't want to be depressed by the news, nor does my mother .. & I hope people reading them may pick up some tips for dealing with their elderly .. and my letters will encourage or give hope to others when they read them - my mother likes hearing them & she likes my posts (luckily! - she keeps asking when is the book coming out!! & what does the cover look like!) ..

My mother can't take in too much .. and these kind of posts just provide some stimulation for her & can lead on to other related discussions, connections etc - quite often leading her to asking me to look it up in the dictionary, or Google it!! In fact I have one now ..."subhirtella" ???? I had no idea - do you? ... post coming up!

The ricocheting in my brain as it spins, probably out of control, across the universe bumping into topic after idea ... eagerly searching for a brief snippet that my dying mother would be interested in - cheering her up and bringing a laugh to her soul ...

So I get my ideas from all sorts of places .. and add my own spin - as there are so many professional erudite bloggers out there and I wanted to do something different - where you'll all come back to have a read - as you'll never know what's coming ... nor do I!! I want you back .. & I don't want you bored ...
Mr Postman .. thank you for this information .. it makes interesting reading and I'd like to reassure you that my mother loves these positive stories ..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hilary

It is a wonderful thing you are doing with your positive letters, I can't wait to see how it is going to grow.
Thank you,
Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Thanks Giovanna .. for your support .. and your suggestions re 'bringing and tying' the loose ends together as an actual letter that anyone can tap into & use for their loved ones, or for their organisation eg Nursing Home, Care Home, Church newsletter etc ..

Any developmental thoughts appreciated ..

Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy