Thursday 22 January 2009

Where was the Doctor's Certificate ..???

On one of my recent visits to my Ma .. she said she'd been bashed on the head & had a pain across the back of her head .. as the doctor was visiting, I thought I'd ask him to visit & check her out. However Mum was also having one of those days (very rare fortunately!) .. my brother described it thus: Ma was in a tizzy, worried that she had been hit on the head, and that worse was likely to happen, and not just to her but to Hilary & me - we were told to be careful!

When it happens - Mum looks out with clear, big eyes .. and is very frustrated that I don't take it seriously ... & start laughing .. she looks at me & says "you must take it seriously, it's very bad" - & as she lies in bed unable to move ... it's very difficult to keep a straight face - poor Ma!!

The Doctor came & checked her head & neck & asked if he could turn her head .. Mum said "'NO' .. I can't see you ... & I don't believe you're a doctor, I need to see your Certificate!! - so come round this side of the bed" (as Mum has left sided neglect - she sees & hears better when we're on her right - that symptom has improved over time). The doctor dutifully! did as he was told!! Then she wanted to see his Certificate! & then said "I don't believe you're a doctor - you're not dressed as one" .. he had on a leather jacket - he did have a tie on .. but not a dark suit jacket!! Jaitema, the Indian nurse, & I were roaring with laughter on the other side of the bed, Ian was trying to keep a straight face - my mother is just amazing!

2 comments:

Believe Achieve - Hugo and Roxanne said...

Hi Hilary,

We love how you've been able to turn this incident into something positive and laugh about. Staying positive and adding laughter into our lives is so important, even if it was at your Mum's expense. :-)

Many Blessings....
Roxanne and Hugo
~ Believe Achieve ~

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Hugo & Roxanne .. can't believe I made some grammatical errors in my post .. more haste less speed I guess!!

Fortunately Mum laughs at herself all the time .. so I'm very lucky & we do belly laughs quite often .. this particular incidence she was a little doolally .. which is fine!

thanks for your care .. Hilary