Friday 30 January 2009

"Emanuensis" .. have you heard of this word? ... I am it!!

Dear Mr Postman .. thank you so much for bringing another story about my mother .. to remind me ..

Yesterday .. I mentioned the story about "Emanuensis" .. and Mum quite naturally said to our Healing lady, who has done wonders for my mother, Hilary is my Emanuensis .. ie her Secretary, her dogsbody ... = the person who'll do anything necessary!

The vicar also came with a volunteer visitor lady (Hilary - just to confuse the issue!!) .. and I was telling the story .. to try and explain how well my mother is in her mind; The volunteer said she'd heard of the word .. & it was from "mane" = hand in Latin .. then the vicar mentioned "Emanuel" .. El being God .. & relating it back to hand servant of God.

Hilary, the volunteer visitor, has a dog, Megan, and she will be a great additional visitor for my Mother. It looks like their brains will click and she seemed like a very nice lady, who understands the sick & ill and will understand that sometimes my mother will be asleep and will not be very responsive. I just believe we've had another blessing added into our lives.

Thank you Mr Postman - we are so lucky having volunteer visitors available to help us out, and who can read these letters for us, and give some extra stimulation to our mother ..

Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hilary

Aren't English words interesting?
I studied Latin and that was part of the fascination.

Juliet

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Thanks Juliet .. yes - but your English is very good per your posts ..

It's one of the things I'd like to add in .. is the differences in understanding particularly with the Americans - they often have a different take!

"CW" said...

Emanuel...."God with us" is the Hebrew. And truly in these circumstances He is.

Thanks so much for the comments.

It was a joy meeting Hilary; what a Fabulous group we had in San Diego.

You take care of your mom; it is an important time for you. I wouldn't exchange the last days with dad for anything.

Keeping you in prayer.
In His Power and Grace;
CW

Anonymous said...

Hi Hilary

I am glad your mom now have a dog to visit with. I think Megan will brighting your mom's day. Dogs are fantastic healer.

Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi CW - thanks for your comment .. my comprehension of Latin, & definitely Hebrew, is limited .. so I'm grateful for a little enlightenment. My mother will be interested too. God is with her - I know that. Many thanks for your prayers.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Gio - thanks .. your love of dogs shows .. I think my Mum will love the comfort of Megan too .. we have another family dog - Caspar .. a black standard poodle & he's lovely .. but a bit big for a bed .. with tubes etc!!

Many thanks - Hilary - Positive Letters

Unknown said...

Hello Hilary, It is heart warming story you take care of your sick mother and at the same time to maintain the strength of your mind. I admire your story. Please keep writing.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shaw .. thanks for visiting ... & thank you so much for reading.

Fortunately I am positive & we laugh so much .. that to think my mother is having a happy final chapter is the most important thing.

I will keep writing .. & my strength of mind is strong - by the look of it inherited from my mother!!

scheng1 said...

Such an interesting word! Over here, we are not so refined as to use such difficult word. We just use the word "slave" or "maid" to impart the same meaning.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Scheng - good to see you here! It is an interesting word .. well nor was I refined enough to know it!

Do you really still use those words? When I lived in South Africa - certainly 'maid' was used ..but slave - has it not died out yet?

That's quite frightening if that is so? It worries me .. !!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I wasn't able to comment and support you during this time. Lovely to see you had helpers. Interesting, I tended to be my parents' Emanuensis too. My mother would have known that term. Like your mum she was well educated. When she had Alzheimer's she directed me via Black's medical to her suspicion she had oedma. She was correct. Xox

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Madeleine - thanks for clarifying it's you!! Delighted to see you ... yes I remember you did a lot for your parents in the way an Emanuensis used to do. I was always amazed at what my mother remembered and the words she used.

Loved your mother directing you to Black's medical re her suspicion for her oedema ...

Amazing what life holds for us ... these are precious and happy memories to have as our mothers aged. Great to see you - cheers Hilary