Tuesday 13 January 2009

"Jamming Session" .. in the Acute Brain Injury Unit ..


Dear Mr Postman .. thank you for listening to this to a bit more of this tale ...

My mother was in the Acute Brain Injury Ward for 4 months .. and at one stage two Cameroonian ladies, totally coincidentally, were admitted to our six bed ward .. and at that stage my mother was pretty fragile, as she was not yet stabilised. A radio came out .. & I thought oh no!!! – it’s been so wonderful .. so quiet & peaceful; Jasmine had some African music playing and I just asked her to keep it quiet .. as my mother had never liked modern music of any description ... I thought!!

Well, well – when the daughter disappeared.. my mother apparently had said to the other patients .. well let’s have some of that music .. so they’d had a “jamming session” together & obviously it cheered them all up!! It amazed me. When I heard the tale – all these bed ridden patients waving their bed sheets with whichever body part would move in time to the music & those that could whistle or sing spouting forth – my imagination took hold! I expect you’ve got positive stories to tell too?

Thank you Mr Postman .. I'm glad you liked the jamming session .. it's good to visualise isn't it?

Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hilary!

Hope someone got that on video! That would have been great...and fun to watch! Your story reminded me of one of my favorite quotes.."We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." Tell Mom to keep getting her "groove" on!!

It's wonderful to hear the two of you are doing so well. And I love the turn in direction with your blog. I look forward to reading more positive letters!

Much Love, Roxanne

Jacques said...

Hillary: You have been so faithfull to your mother. I am sure you will have alot to share about your experiences. I will not be in California due to my schedule. Let me know how it went. Jacques

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Roxanne .. thanks v much .. I suspect not!! But I think the imagination could run riot .. ;

Thanks too for the confirmation re the turn in direction ..

More soon .. thanks for the support - Hilary

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. thanks v much for your support. Mum is great & it'll be fun sharing & making the whole experience happier;

CA was great .. very supportive, lots of good info & an endorsement .. that this blog & its approach was considered a really good idea.

We missed you .. Hilary