Monday 19 January 2009

Global world - long term friends made in hospital - across the pond, different generations ..


Dear Mr Postman .. this is some more background information on us .. that others may find interesting ..

Isn't it amazing - we can travel the world, connect with friends, keep up with work & enjoy life while we do it. I've been able to chat to a young friend .. and I love being able to communicate .. to keep in touch with G - as she was in the Acute Brain Injury Unit when my mother was there: we made a mini support group for each other .. she was sad to leave us there .. but 18 months on we're still in touch .. and the support is there. She's still improving .. which just shows you what the brain can do for itself and us - each & every one of us .... use your brain & it'll improve.

My mother remembers this young lady and her mother, and the other patients. My Mum's 'brain attack', as her 3 strokes are commonly known .. has not really affected her memory .. with prompting, she will remember; she hasn't really, to date, started repeating things, she's interested in things (not in detail) .. but if I don't know something .. she sends me off to look it up in the dictionary or Google it! She remembers things back in the 1920s .. to the millinenium - I have to be on my toes (with my brain very much connected! when I visit) .. to provide stimulation and interest for her.

I've been inspired by my visit, excited at the prospects for the future and look forward to getting back to see my Ma and build my future .. talk to you all soon ...

Thank you Mr Postman for reading this letter and as you say it is interesting this journey .. we can all learn so much - and thank you for saying that you'll almost certainly learn something from us ..

Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters

2 comments:

Believe Achieve - Hugo and Roxanne said...

Hi Hilary,

How wonderful to still be in touch with your friend and to hear she's improving. It's also great to be able to be there for each other for support.
We like hearing how your Mum is doing, too. "Keeping you on your toes..." :-)
It truly is amazing how our brain works. As long as we keep on feeding it, it will always improve.

Many Blessings....
Roxanne and Hugo
~ Believe Achieve ~

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Yes - I think communication is so important ..& it keeps me young .. Yes - G lives in the States .. & I rang her & had a chat when I was over .. it's lovely. They were/ are very fond of Mum.

Yes -she keeps me on my toes all the time .. !!

Thanks so much for your comments & thoughts -Hilary